Muddy Peak, Nevada

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:06 am

1000Pks wrote:Oh, thank you, you're so kind!

But I would wish to bag Muddy Peak 2X, Muddy HP is fine but not much of a climb. And usually there has to be a long spell of nice weather forecast before I commit to any trip. Those ways from the south sound interesting, I had something in mind at one time, but none to do this with. Someone suggested that Muddy Peak is only class 2 from the south, I forget.

Muddy Peak is still class 3 from the south, at least the way I know, but not as creepy as that chute on the NW side.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:58 pm

I didn't find the chute too creepy, but the rock isn't exactly solid. It's not real loose, but you have to be careful what you put weight on.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 pm

I was relying on the opinion of this dog (click below):

She didn't like going back down the chute.

Jokes aside, the NW chute is a shooting gallery when there are a few people in it at once. Nothing scares me more than loose rock.

This shows the south route. I don't remember much loose rock, but it was nearly 7 years ago. The canyon was impressive.

However, the south approach to Muddy is blocked about 1.65 south of the old parking lot, at ~2350' elevation. I walked up to the previous parking. The BLM is taking this seriously; I saw no tire tracks past the block, and the old road has faded into nothing in a few places. They have clearly rolled rocks into the road in at least 5 places, forming barricades (kind of wimpy for real jeeps, but enough to keep me out). In a few places, natural gully washers have placed some nasty rocks in the "road".

I've considered approaching Muddy from the E, via the Bitter Ridge Road:

I've been 10 miles up that road in the Subaru, but have to look farther. It's still a long haul. This is close to the "other" approach suggested by Hart in "Hiking the Great Basin" except I drive in from the south.

(The woman in the last photo is the mother of someone who has hiked with Kathy.)

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Harlan: Oh, I didn't go up that loose stuff. I went up this:

Before I got to that section I was fairly high on the ridge. On the way down, I did drop down lower and didn't like the loose stuff, so I went back up. So, maybe I didn't do the standard route - that wouldn't surprise me.

I went and looked at the rest of the photos - CP's mom. Like mother, like son. I did try to hike with CP once, but that didn't last long as his speed was way too fast for me. Harlan: You're able to keep the same pace as CP, so you're pretty fast too.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:18 pm

wingding wrote: Harlan: You're able to keep the same pace as CP, so you're pretty fast too.

In the last 18 days, a desert tortoise could beat me (sprained ankle).

CP has mainly been faster these days; he does something epic just about every weekend, and climbs local peaks after work -- even in the summer.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:53 pm

It looks like Bob Burd got to the parking area for Muddy in a Subaru, so the road isn't all that bad:

http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_photos/muddy_n02_1/index_t.html

I'm so used to driving a truck with 4WD that I really don't know what other vehicles can handle.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Don't be fooled by that silly trickster MoapaPk, Kathy. He's speedy (when he's not sprained), and he's got cat-like reflexes!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:29 pm

wingding wrote:It looks like Bob Burd got to the parking area for Muddy in a Subaru, so the road isn't all that bad:

http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_photos/muddy_n02_1/index_t.html

I'm so used to driving a truck with 4WD that I really don't know what other vehicles can handle.

Well, the register pics should answer Pete's questions.

It looks like Bob B has a newer forester -- more clearance and a shorter wheelbase, and a better approach angle than my 2003 Outback. Who knows, I still might try!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:30 pm

cp0915 wrote:Don't be fooled by that silly trickster MoapaPk, Kathy. He's speedy (when he's not sprained), and he's got cat-like reflexes!

I'm down to 4 lives, though.

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)