Couloir climbs around St George UT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Seahorse

Couloir climbs around St George UT

by Seahorse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 am

I'm new to the area. Whats classic? I'm sure theres got to be some near salt lake, any in Nevada?

Not necessarily looking to do these real soon, just get a healthy list for later (next couple months).

MoapaPk

Re: Couloir climbs around St George UT

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:07 am

Seahorse wrote:I'm new to the area. Whats classic? I'm sure theres got to be some near salt lake, any in Nevada?

Not necessarily looking to do these real soon, just get a healthy list for later (next couple months).

Salt Lake is pretty far from St George.

There are couloir climbs in Great Basin (check Wheeler Peak). In 2005 there were some on Signal Peak just N of St George. All the NV limestone peaks above 10k', from Charleston through Troy and Currant, have steep gullies out of the sun at 40-50 degrees (especially N side of Mummy), but they are not always that stable.

Seahorse

by Seahorse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks dude,

I'm willing to travel.

Climbed wheeler earlier this year, I'll check CP's book hopefully he's got some couloir descriptions.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Seahorse wrote:Thanks dude,

I'm willing to travel.

Climbed wheeler earlier this year, I'll check CP's book hopefully he's got some couloir descriptions.

I doubt it's in CP's book, but the classic Michael Kelsey book on Great Basin has descriptions.

read this caution
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Nort ... onal_Park/

If you are willing to travel, then Salt Lake sounds a lot better.

Return to Utah