How to Survive a Free Solo

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
TomSellick

Yikes

by TomSellick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:36 pm

This is why I'll tie up every time. I literally got sweaty palms and doubled my heart rate watching this. Might have something to do with my own fall last year....

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:58 pm

wonder if he would have fallen had that rope not been there. He obviously was thinking something like "oh shit this is getting harder, oh shit this is getting harder, GRAB THE ROPE!!!, oh fuck it is a top rope and i only grabbed one side!!!"

|
|
|
|
v

CRATER

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Watching mere mortals attempt to arrest a fall by grabbing a dangling rope makes Potter's save after his 'chute malfunction at the Cave of the Swallows that much more amazing...

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Way back in the day.
Mike Waugh was putting up the first ascent of “Good to The Last Drop” at JT.
He was near the finish of the thing and looking at a “grounder”.
One of his partners, Dan Hershman, gets the bright idea of lowering a single strand of 10.5 mm right next to him, witch Dan did.
Mike didn’t need to grab on, but we have all wondered if you could stop yourself like that?
The sh-t you do when your 17.

gk

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:44 am

If I ever learn to rock climb I am CERTAINLY not going to be free soloing, ever.

Misha

by Misha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 am

EastcoastMike wrote:If I ever learn to rock climb I am CERTAINLY not going to be free soloing, ever.

Never say never... I thought that too at some point of my life. Now and then I find myself soloing an easy route in the alpine environment (never on crags). It can get scary sometimes but most of time it is very enjoyable. Freedom of movement created by soloing can get addictive

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:40 pm

There is a time and a place for one to venture off into the realm of "Free Soloing".

This is a perfect example of when not to by an individual that certainly was not ready for nor focus'd on the task at hand.

More like...

Hey, look at my sorry dumbass. Aren't I cool? BTW, get the fuck outta my was as I increase my speed on the way down and cratering.

For you aspiring morons out there, please remember that your actions do affect others. Especially those that are near by that witness your demise and those that are called upon to clean up your brain matter that is splattered all over the ground and then have to return what is left of your tattered body, to your loved ones.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

The Chief wrote:There is a time and a place for one to venture off into the realm of "Free Soloing".

This is a perfect example of when not to by an individual that certainly was not ready for nor focus'd on the task at hand.

More like...

Hey, look at my sorry dumbass. Aren't I cool? BTW, get the fuck outta my was as I increase my speed on the way down and cratering.

For you aspiring morons out there, please remember that your actions do affect others. Especially those that are near by that witness your demise and those that are called upon to clean up your brain matter that is splattered all over the ground and then have to return what is left of your tattered body, to your loved ones.

+1 Chief.

PreviousNext

Return to General