ADK hiking next week

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
EastcoastMike

ADK hiking next week

by EastcoastMike » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Mon-Wed will be in the 'Dacks looking to get into the High Peaks. My objectives, although not set in stone, are Monday: Cascade and Porter, Tuesday: Algonquin, Wright, Iroquois (if possible), and Wed, Giant and/or RPR. If you are at all interested let me know!

triyoda

by triyoda » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:23 am

How were the conditions?

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:07 pm

triyoda wrote:How were the conditions?

Leaving tonight, I'll let you know.

jrbrenvt

by jrbrenvt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:16 am

I hiked Giant yesterday, there is enough snow to wear the snow shoes for the entire hike (barely). Maybe 6" or so near the base, with better coverage up high, but not enough to avoid feeling allot of rocks underneath the snow. I wound up breaking the roaring brook trail on the upper part of it (passed some folks who were breaking it for me on the lower part, I took my turn after that). Once it joined the ridge trail, the ridge trail (Zander Scott trail) was well trammeled. Crampons not needed if you have good bite on the snow shoes. There were a couple of spots wear good spikes on the feet will make life much easier. I descended the ridge trail to the wash bowl trail, and took that back to roaring brook trailhead. I also broke that trail, but that was easy as there are only a few inches of snow at that altitude. Note by broke I mean breaking through the recent week's snow, someone had had been on these trails earlier in the season. Route finding was never an issue. I think the trail to RPR was broken but did not really pay much attention, that trip was a bit too much for me that day. There was a couple who said they planned to go there and back, so I suspect its broken now.

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 am

Hiked Algonquin, Wright, Seward, Donaldson, Emmons. All trails broken out. Weather was beautiful. Crampons or bare boots would have worked best on Wright due to abundance of exposed rock.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)