Winter softshell suggestions?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:24 pm

When it's that cold, I skip the laminates and use a Patagonia Ascentionist, which I think is discontinued. It's a light (<1lb) shell that's plenty water-resistant, stops wind even in the Whites, and breathes very well. I'm sure there are others out there.

This frees me up weight-and-bulk-wise to replace my R2 fleece with a Compressor, or even add the compressor on top of the R2 when things get really bitter. The total package is much more versatile than a heavy jacket.

I do backcountry hunting and own a Sitka Coldfront jacket. It's very similar to the above Patagonia item: durable waterproof softshell with light fleece lining. It's certainly warm, but far less versatile than my Ascentionist.

rush

by rush » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Kai wrote:Patagonia Mixmaster pants are the best winter soft shells I've used. Softshell with a lightweight fleece on the inside. Great for climbing and skiing.

I bought a pair of Mixmasters off the Patagonia website for $100. Awesome softshells! I lived in these when moving high on Denali and they were perfect.

Previous

Return to Gear