Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
FelisConcolor

Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go?

by FelisConcolor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello!

I'll be celebrating my 4th anniversary with my girlfriend, and we want to go someplace in the Sierras. We're looking for something romantic, cozy, and with plenty of fun outdoor options (we'd prefer backcountry vs. lift-service). I've considered the Ahwahnee in Yosemite, but it's very expensive, and gets a lot of bad reviews.

Where would you go with your lover / adventure buddy that combines romance, good food and fun in the mountains? Oh yeah, and we're based in SF, so something in the more northern part of the state would be ideal.

Thanks a lot for any ideas!!!

EPA

PS: If there are any options that would allow for the ascent of one of the easier SPS peaks, that'd be excellent, but certainly not critical.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 pm

When is your anniversary?

FelisConcolor

by FelisConcolor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

This weekend, so no doubt some places will be booked up already...

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:30 pm

FelisConcolor wrote:This weekend, so no doubt some places will be booked up already...
You might consider the Mt. Shasta area.

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:16 pm

How about a cabin in/near Yosemite?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Anniversary in the Mtns: where would you go?

by Bob Burd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 pm

FelisConcolor wrote:PS: If there are any options that would allow for the ascent of one of the easier SPS peaks, that'd be excellent, but certainly not critical.

A man with focus!
This time of year "easy" is mostly near Tahoe, but even those can have a good deal of snow. Easiest one is Granite Chief. Rent a place in Squaw and take here skiing there. Take the Granite Chief chair to the top. Then say, "Wow! Look at that view, pointing north or south. While she's taking in the view, cut right and run up to the summit and back before she's gotten her eyeful. Take her to a nice dinner in the village after you're done skiing.

FelisConcolor

by FelisConcolor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

The coast is definitely a possibility, and a place that I should check out more often, but I'm somehow always drawn into the mountains.

I'm going to look into the Shasta area. I mentioned the tent cabins in Yosemite, but was shot down ("four walls, and canvas doesn't count").

I like the idea of hitting Granite Chief and having the comfort of the resort right there, but I guess that I'm torn between trying to find something more remote and secluded (but not too "rustic") or just going to some large resort. Either will be great though. That's why we're celebrating - four years of fun adventures and lots more to come!

Besides, despite the last minute planning, I'm already doing really well on this one: I blew off my cousin's bachelor party in Vegas, which just happened to be on this same weekend, to celebrate with her!

eboniske

by eboniske » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 pm

check out "The Redwoods" in Yosemite. They are independently owned cabins (yes, real cabins) in the Wawona area. Great place to be this time of year in the snow. Plus, easy access to the big trees or the valley.

Return to California