when does the snow off season start in the catskills

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Catskillhiker

when does the snow off season start in the catskills

by Catskillhiker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 am

For a peak such as table or peakamoose at 3800'?
and whats the snow gone season for somthing like overlook mt or red hill? 3200' and 2900'?

can i start climbing again in April or march? (i have winter equiptment, but will be training some other people for hikes in the dacks)

and off topic sorta, the black mountains in north Carolina, in particular Mitchell and Craig, will the snow be gone by mid may?

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:21 am

ya monday will be probly good, if you know the area the word lake-effect can change the day instantly though not much of it makes it that far south, but ya, most the pepole i go with (family) would never touch one in the winter, i would, but not without an experinced winter hiker for the first time,

tioga

Re: when does the snow off season start in the catskills

by tioga » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Catskillhiker wrote:and off topic sorta, the black mountains in north Carolina, in particular Mitchell and Craig, will the snow be gone by mid may?

I climbed Mitchell two years ago in mid-April and there wasn't a bit of snow on it. In fact, it was actually pretty nice weather there. I think it should be fine by May. Though, this winter has been pretty brutal so far . . .

tioga

by tioga » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Does anyone know the trail conditions up Hunter and Slide in the Catskills? My wife and I are looking to go up there over the President's Day Weekend in February and do some climbing. We are planning on renting some snowshoes, but I was wondering if crampons would also be necessary. I have never been hiking in the Catskills and have no idea what to expect.

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 pm

tioga wrote:Does anyone know the trail conditions up Hunter and Slide in the Catskills? My wife and I are looking to go up there over the President's Day Weekend in February and do some climbing. We are planning on renting some snowshoes, but I was wondering if crampons would also be necessary. I have never been hiking in the Catskills and have no idea what to expect.

Pres weekend is a bit far off. I would recommend bringing crampons just in case.

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 pm

tioga wrote:Does anyone know the trail conditions up Hunter and Slide in the Catskills? My wife and I are looking to go up there over the President's Day Weekend in February and do some climbing. We are planning on renting some snowshoes, but I was wondering if crampons would also be necessary. I have never been hiking in the Catskills and have no idea what to expect.

Conditions can vary widely! Check on viewsfromthetop, and adkhighpeaks.com closer to your hike for trip reports and trail conditions, and check snowfall depths on the national weather service website.

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 am

Hunter Spruceton trail you could do all on snowshoes as it is nothing more then a mountian 4 by 4 trail u could get a snowmobile up it to the fire tower, any other trail crampons are a must

tioga

by tioga » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks guys! I will keep on eye on the weather and the conditions as early February comes up. I don't have any crampons but we might need to make a purchase. Thanks for the websites, too. They will be helpful.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)