Soooo Flat.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Guyzo

Soooo Flat.

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Heck, now that the wise ones have removed PnP from SP, I figured I would jump into the regional boards so I could get to know some of you-all.

My name is Guy Keesee, I climb rocks, sometimes.

I have a question for all of you.

Is the world really flat?

later, :wink:

mstender

by mstender » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey Guy, you must really desperately miss PnP dropping in into the Midwest forum.
And yes, it is kind of flat here at least compared to what I remember from living in CA and WA.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 am

Hi guyzo! Welcome to flatland USA!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:44 am

mstender wrote:Hey Guy, you must really desperately miss PnP dropping in into the Midwest forum.
And yes, it is kind of flat here at least compared to what I remember from living in CA and WA.

True enuf..... Dave K says these are Bull Sh-t posts cause I miss PnP.... Not true, I lived in the Midwest for a few years. Omaha or if you know the lay of the land, Bellevue. I wish to know if there is climbing there. I recall swimming (illegal of course) at rock quarries. These had about 40-50 foot tall walls, it was choss but that is the prime stone today. Any climbing action going on?

gk :wink:

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I meet drjohnso at a gym in the southwest burbs once a week to climb. If I can sell the parentals on it, I'd like to get up to Minnesota for some ice.

Yes, the world really is that flat. If Columbus were going to fall off the edge of the world, he would have had to visit the Great Plains.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Wood..... Have you ever been to south Ill? One of my friends would go their on there annual "eastcoast roadtrip".... Bob told me it's some of the best cragging any where.

I guess I could go to Mt.project and figgure it out.

and Bellevue NB is not flat at all.... ride a bike around for a few days.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Guyzo wrote:Wood..... Have you ever been to south Ill? One of my friends would go their on there annual "eastcoast roadtrip".... Bob told me it's some of the best cragging any where.

Jackson Falls would be a destination crag by itself if only it were taller - the rock is fantastic. I love the place, but for those of us near Chicago, Red River Gorge is only a little bit farther of a drive and has more routes, especially in the easy to moderate grades.

woodsxc wrote:If I can sell the parentals on it, I'd like to get up to Minnesota for some ice.

What are you doing Jan 22-24? Might not even have to go too far for ice, depending on temperatures over the next week.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
Guyzo wrote:Wood..... Have you ever been to south Ill? One of my friends would go their on there annual "eastcoast roadtrip".... Bob told me it's some of the best cragging any where.

Jackson Falls would be a destination crag by itself if only it were taller - the rock is fantastic. I love the place, but for those of us near Chicago, Red River Gorge is only a little bit farther of a drive and has more routes, especially in the easy to moderate grades.

woodsxc wrote:If I can sell the parentals on it, I'd like to get up to Minnesota for some ice.

What are you doing Jan 22-24? Might not even have to go too far for ice, depending on temperatures over the next week.

Guy, I've been to southern IL several times. It is quite nice. However, if you venture into Iowa, the middle 90% of Illinois, or much of Nebraska, it's flatter than a 2x4.

Doug, right now, nothin. I'll see what I can do, but I'll have to get boots and gloves between now and then.

On an unrelated note, I did that new 5.10a at VE last night. The blue one by the campus board. Of course, I climbed like crap on all subsequent routes, but I pretty much nailed the 10.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Good work woodsxc

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Being afraid of heights and wanting to be an alpine climber I've stepped up my indoor climbing. I usually just bouldered. Been trying a huge number of different routes and been belated by numerous. One day I flashed 4 new routes. I was so stoked. Next time I fell a few times but it was good because I need to get used to it. I flew up an overhanging lead route on TR. I'm getting there

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:14 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Being afraid of heights and wanting to be an alpine climber I've stepped up my indoor climbing. I usually just bouldered. Been trying a huge number of different routes and been belated by numerous. One day I flashed 4 new routes. I was so stoked. Next time I fell a few times but it was good because I need to get used to it. I flew up an overhanging lead route on TR. I'm getting there

Keep it up. I am afraid of falling from great heights. Thats why I like to climb with a rope. You must believe in the gear and your ability to rig it correctly. I think it's just like sky-diving.... you wouldn't toss your ass out of a plane at 10,000 feet if you had doubts about it working, would you?

Climbing is the same.

I am going to the Gym tonite too. I never try to do the "roots" -- being color blind--I cant tell the difference between the "pink" ones the "red" ones or the "blue' ones...... I just like to lead on the bolts and go up, down, sideways where ever.

I have been called a "Rainbow Fag" by some of the younger kids..... funnest thing ever :lol: :lol:

Well I hope the snow starts melting so you can get climbing.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Other than the Black Hills, this is far and away the best climbing on the plains:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/171222/wichita-mountains.html

tubularbills

by tubularbills » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:04 am

as flat as oklahoma is, there's quite a few state parks you can go hiking/climbing in. i recommend Black Mesa, out there in panhandle.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)