Figuring things out on your own

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
WoundedKnee

by WoundedKnee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 pm

MarthaP wrote:PS - Woundedknee, I never brought up the subject of "kids these days." That's your interpretation. I'm referring to an assessment that a large majority of folks in general are lazy. That's not to say that a portion of your assessment is also correct - that a fair number of people actually do research. And an even larger portion likely doesn't hang out on forums but gets the book and hits the trail. :wink:

"Kids these days" was a bit tongue in cheek, but this phrasing "What has happened to us? Have we stopped reading? Do folks no longer take pride in learning on their own?" led me to believe you think people are trending towards laziness. The only argument you'll get from me there is that I think people have always been lazy. :wink:

MarthaP wrote:Research FIRST, then ask INTELLIGENT questions.

For the record, I research first, then ask stupid questions.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:20 am

WoundedKnee wrote:For the record, I research first, then ask stupid questions.

Good one. LOL, and I really mean it.

Pivvay

by Pivvay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:11 am

fossana wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
zenalpinist wrote:I'd like to do something sometime that might take place somewhere that isn't where I am presently at. I'm not sure what this will be but I hope that someone might have some leads that might produce some information that would be helpful in this endeavor.

Secor says you just follow the obvious weakness to a ledge system.

It goes at class 5.

But with careful route finding you can keep it at class 4

no avatar
Husker

Re: Figuring things out on your own

by Husker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 am

truchas wrote:
MarthaP wrote:It was clear no one read the posts and, out of sheer laziness, wanted a quick answer without doing their own research.

Did you ever consider the thought that maybe the posts were poorly written and that is why nobody read them?

How does it go: "There are no stupid questions...just stupid people answering them?"

drjohnso1182

Re: Figuring things out on your own

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 am

Husker wrote:
truchas wrote:
MarthaP wrote:It was clear no one read the posts and, out of sheer laziness, wanted a quick answer without doing their own research.

Did you ever consider the thought that maybe the posts were poorly written and that is why nobody read them?

How does it go: "There are no stupid questions...just stupid people answering them?"

There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are a Lot of Inquisitive Idiots.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Pardon me, but isn't the purpose of the forums to ask questions and get information? I agree there are many stupid questions and topics-- like the endless posts about climbing Hood and Rainier-- but isn't that why the forums are here?

I've been here long enough and have added enough pages here that I know my way around the site quite well, but a newer member or non-contributing one might have a much tougher time. What's the big deal? Someone wants to know the closest 14er to Denver? Fine, tell him and provide a link to the SP page and then leave the rest to him. What's so terrible about that?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:12 pm

That takes wastes too much time. Instead, write a 20-lines response explaining that it wastes time.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Pivvay wrote:
fossana wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
zenalpinist wrote:I'd like to do something sometime that might take place somewhere that isn't where I am presently at. I'm not sure what this will be but I hope that someone might have some leads that might produce some information that would be helpful in this endeavor.

It goes at class 5.

What's class 4?

For my students, it's history.

JasonH

by JasonH » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Pivvay wrote:
fossana wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

It goes at class 5.

What's class 4?

Class 4 is any class 3 climb I wuss out on. :oops:

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
Pivvay wrote:
fossana wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

It goes at class 5.

What's class 4?

For my students, it's history.

Time flies like an arrow.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

There, I've said it. Happy?

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Pardon me, but isn't the purpose of the forums to ask questions and get information? I agree there are many stupid questions and topics-- like the endless posts about climbing Hood and Rainier-- but isn't that why the forums are here?

I've been here long enough and have added enough pages here that I know my way around the site quite well, but a newer member or non-contributing one might have a much tougher time. What's the big deal? Someone wants to know the closest 14er to Denver? Fine, tell him and provide a link to the SP page and then leave the rest to him. What's so terrible about that?

Exactly, the forums are just another way for people to find information, its like the search function but with a human generating the returns instead of a machine. I prefer getting a real person when I call a tech support line than "press 1 for..." recordings.

Some advice for people who get annoyed by "noobs" - if someone asks a "stupid question", just ignore them and let someone else answer them :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 pm

josegarcia wrote:does anyone else here break in their footgear?

I've sprained an ankle, but never actually broken.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
drjohnso1182 wrote:Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

There, I've said it. Happy?

And "time passes like shit through a short dog" (Edward Abbey 8) )

moonspots

by moonspots » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Pardon me, but isn't the purpose of the forums to ask questions and get information? I agree there are many stupid questions and topics-- like the endless posts about climbing Hood and Rainier-- but isn't that why the forums are here?

It appears to me that the defining difference between your observation and Martha's initial comment is that she expects people to do at least some of their own "due dilligence" research, then ask away for clarification. And I agree, 100%.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander