Almost met Gangolf

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Almost met Gangolf

by Scott » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 am

Dang; almost met Gangolf. See the photo discussion below :D :

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... 263#360263

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 am

Talk about almost! We actually met and said hello to each other but didn't realize who we were talking to. Scott was waiting for his son, Kessler to come up to the summit of Deseada and we had just turned around to return to base. All of us were wearing all the clothes we had brought as it was very windy up there.

To make matters worse, Scott stayed at Puerto Naos, just ten minutes (by car) from where we were staying.

I only realized all of this on Sunday when I stumbled over a picture of Kessler on the rim of Crater del Duraznero. I knew I had met a kid up on Deseada and had been amazed that he had hiked there all the way. We had joked about what the dad must have done to coax him there. That's how I remembered ...

Too bad, we didn't recognize each other!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm

I think that's something I would feel real sad about. Passing by a fellow SP'er that I knew from these Boards, and not know it!

Indeed, whilst in Snowdonia during my last trip, and walking in the usually very quiet Moelwyns, I met a young guy walking up as I walked down. In very snowy conditions.

As you do in an area that sees relatively few walkers, we stopped and chatted, and after a few minutes I said, "your name isn't Dan is it?, (Nanuls from SP). No it wasn't. But I would have been devastated to have bumped into someone like Dan who has contributed so much here, (and given me help from time to time), and not known it!

We'll have to get ourselves an SP sticker to put on rucksack etc. :D

I guess though any SP'er meeting me walking a hill or mountain, overweight, white haired and walking like an out of control elephant, will immediately know that they have met "Ugly Fat Bastard"! :lol:

eza

It also happened in Austria, two and a half years ago

by eza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Mathias Zehring and I almost met on the trail between Vent and the Breslauer Hütte (see picture. You are right, Bryan, I also felt sad about that missed occasion. I believe we did walk across each other while I was going towards the Breslauer Hutte and Mathias was on his way down to Vent.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Talk about almost! We actually met and said hello to each other but didn't realize who we were talking to. Scott was waiting for his son, Kessler to come up to the summit of Deseada and we had just turned around to return to base. All of us were wearing all the clothes we had brought as it was very windy up there.

To make matters worse, Scott stayed at Puerto Naos, just ten minutes (by car) from where we were staying.

I only realized all of this on Sunday when I stumbled over a picture of Kessler on the rim of Crater del Duraznero. I knew I had met a kid up on Deseada and had been amazed that he had hiked there all the way. We had joked about what the dad must have done to coax him there. That's how I remembered ...

Very Cool Stuff, at least you have a story in lieu of a handshake.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:I think that's something I would feel real sad about. Passing by a fellow SP'er that I knew from these Boards, and not know it!

+1

rpc

by rpc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:29 pm

tastefully designed SP forehead tats would prevent any such regrets in the future...

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 am

Talk about almost! We actually met and said hello to each other but didn't realize who we were talking to. Scott was waiting for his son, Kessler to come up to the summit of Deseada and we had just turned around to return to base. All of us were wearing all the clothes we had brought as it was very windy up there.

I would say, "maybe next time", but it was probably a one in a million chance. :(

tastefully designed SP forehead tats would prevent any such regrets in the future...

No doubt.

Anyway, in Colorado, most of the mountains I climb are fairly unknown, but every once in a whole we do some popular ones, such as the Colorado 14ers. Because of photos posted on SP and even more so 14ers.com, plus a few gatherings, several people have recognized Kessler by his green coat (same one in the photo above which he has had for 2.5 years) and have asked if "are you Kessler?" and thus have recognized me as well. On a popular mountain, it happens often. Without the kid (I guess because there aren't that many kids on the peaks), only once has someone recognized me. In a lodge near the base of Cotopaxi (Ecuador), after a conversation I met SP member marauders in January 2007.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:09 am

rpc wrote:tastefully designed SP forehead tats would prevent any such regrets in the future...

I will begin designing the artwork now, will foward to Tattoo Artists in each metro city in the world.

Return to General