Shasta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
climberslacker

Shasta

by climberslacker » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Me and my friend are thinking about (eventually) doing shasta, in a year or two. I was wondering what is the best time to go for a fun snow climb? Im thinking either avy gulch, or Casaval ridge both look like lots of fun (in the not fun sort of way). Im thinking either april or may? Of course i will have an avy course be then, and we are both proficiant in self arrest and crampon use. Like I said, we are looking for a good climb in winter conditions, and I would prefer snow, but not tons of postholing. Yes, I do realize that storms could come and dump any time, so snow conditions are really mercurial, but Im asking the best time to do shasta.

Thanks!

-CS

McCannster

by McCannster » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Yeah, depends on how much snow the mountain got the previous winter. April is a bit early IMO for a trip up the gulch or Casaval for beginners. I think the prime time to do it is in mid-late May. That's when the snow is at its finest. Avy Gulch is basically just a slog, but Casaval is a bit more technical. We did the gulch at the beginning of June and it was about as late as I would've wanted to do it cause of conditions.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Im not seriously considering casaval, I just thought it looked cool with the catwalk and all :D but as i looked a pictures of the route, it looks like we would be over our heads. I will try to plan for late may then, thanks!

-CS

Return to California