Accessibility to Shasta's Eastside Trailheads in May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
RickF

Accessibility to Shasta's Eastside Trailheads in May

by RickF » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 am

O.K. I know it all depends on how much snow we get this winter and how much snow melts by the end of May. But, in a typical year are roads open to trailheads for the Hotlum-Wintun or Clear Creek routes by Memorial weekend?

I checked the SP Shasta page and the descriptions of how to get there don't include seasonal caveats.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:57 am

telewoman wrote:Northgate Trail head opens first. I've driven within a mile of the trail head in May.

Have made it all the may to NG in mid-May before...but that was lean year ('07).

Glad you are scoring some serious pow Robin! 8)

RickF

by RickF » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 am

Telewoman,

A friend of mine heard that some locals run snowmobile shuttles from the end of the road to the trailheads. Do you know anything about this?

RickF

by RickF » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Telewoman,

Thanks for the great info., If you happen to find out that some of the snowmobilers would offer a shuttle service I would be interested in exploring that option. I expect that our group size will end up being between 4 and 6 people.

If we decide to wait until after Memorial weekend, waiting out the road openings, say late June or July do you think the east side slopes like Hotlum-Wintun would still be skiable?

Thanks, Rick

Return to California