Ice skating in the High Sierra / Yosemite area?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MTN Trader

Ice skating in the High Sierra / Yosemite area?

by MTN Trader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 am

Are there any ponds in the high country which are a.) not highly remote, and b.) are sufficiently windswept in the wintertime, so that they offer a smooth, clear, ice skating surface? My family said that if I can find a good place, it might be just the thing to convince them that we should consider an Eastern Sierra vacation. The kids are young, however, so we wouldn't be hiking more than an hour or so to get the ice.

I hear that there is a seasonal ice rink in Curry Village, but that's not quite what they are looking for.

Thanks!

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I watched some locals skating on June Lake earlier in the month -

I was amazed to see Doug Nidever (the mountain guide) out there with skates and a hockey stick too. He said nearby Gull Lake was also skateable, but that it might need some plowing.

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 am

There are a few locals who head out each fall to find the best backcountry ice skating in the Sierra. John Dittli has a video of some skating on YouTube. He also has some nice pics on his blog.

Return to California