Winter Ascents of Glacier National Park 10,000 foot peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
FlatheadNative

Winter Ascents of Glacier National Park 10,000 foot peaks

by FlatheadNative » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 am

Two interesting articles regarding Jason Robertson of Whitefish who is trying to summit all of Glacier's 10K foot peaks in the winter.

He recently completed Kintla and the 2010 Hungry Horse News Article can be read at this link.

He also climbed all but Cleveland in Winter 2008/2009. Here is that 2008 Article from the Great Falls Tribune.

Jason seems to have this all figured out and I wish him the best of luck.

From the Great Falls Tribune article:

When Robertson was asked how he verifies his climbs, which were all solo this winter, he said he uses photos and accurate descriptions of the routes.

"In hopes of not sounding arrogant or rude, to be honest though, I don't feel that I have to verify anything to anyone," he said. "I don't climb to impress people or get acknowledgement. To me it is not the summit, but the style, that is the yardstick of success," Robertson said. "I have turned around on more trips than I can count. I have stopped short of winter summits only a hundred feet from the top.

"I climb for myself and my devout love of the mountains and Glacier Park.

"I try to challenge myself and push the limits, to see how far I can go, how fast I can do something, or how long I can go.

"The only reason that I contacted any newspapers was to get a few photos published. So I guess to answer your question, how do I verify my climbs, I just ask myself if I have done it."
Last edited by FlatheadNative on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

distressbark

thanks for sharing

by distressbark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:23 am

I remember hearing of this fellow but never had the chance to read either of this articles. Thanks for sharing!

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:20 am

Climber says he bagged Cleveland

2010 Hungry Horse News Article

Published: Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:54 AM PST

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)