Down Jackets

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:40 pm

gbeane wrote:I have a MH Phantom and its shell is pretty thin. I've only worn it while stopped, but I would be worried about durability if I were climbing in it. Most of the time it is in my pack. I paid about $60 for it at an L.L. Bean outlet on Black Friday a couple years ago. They had one in the outlet (probably a return) and I had been eying it for a while, when they had a huge black friday sale on everything in the outlet and I couldn't pass it up at that price. I thought about turning around and ebaying it, but I ended up keeping it. I do wish it had a hood though. Anyone know how a Patagonia down sweater would compare in warmth? I'd be OK with losing some warmth, I'm just not sure how much cooler the down sweater will be.

I have the down sweater(w/out hood), as well as the Phantom. Both seem to have fairly thin fabric, but I've not tested either, really, in any trying conditions. I'd say the down sweater is definitely cooler than the Phantom, though it is pretty warm. But, the sweater is mostly an intermediary layer, though warmer than the comparable fleece. Phantom is thicker, more fill, etc. and a bit warmer, imo.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm

On the First Ascent Men's Peak XV Down Jacket, when you go to buy it, it gives you the option of getting the RMI logo. What is that logo? I don't really care, but I don't want to front as a guide or anything. I just want to logo of First Ascent on it.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:40 pm

I believe that would be Rainier Mountaineering, Inc. the guide service working with Eddie Bauer on producing this line of First Ascent.

connollyck

by connollyck » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 am

ive got a FF Volant with Snap on hood for winter/high altitude and a patagonia hooded down sweatear for everything else

Drazhar

by Drazhar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:26 am

Hotoven wrote:On the First Ascent Men's Peak XV Down Jacket, when you go to buy it, it gives you the option of getting the RMI logo. What is that logo? I don't really care, but I don't want to front as a guide or anything. I just want to logo of First Ascent on it.

ye, its just their logo, its nothing really.. just Decoration.

im ordering mine on Monday!

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Call your local TNF stores. There is a great deal on the Prism Optimus if you can find your size.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm

DanielWade wrote:Call your local TNF stores. There is a great deal on the Prism Optimus if you can find your size.

Would all stores have the sale going on?

Drazhar

by Drazhar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:24 am

DanielWade wrote:Call your local TNF stores. There is a great deal on the Prism Optimus if you can find your size.

i had a prism but i got rid of it.. it lets to much draft in when its windy, and the draft seems to find its way throughout the jacket once its in.. this is because it has NO draw cords around the base of the hood so your face suffers and that's the cold air inlet for the rest of the jacket, for the money.. the FA jacket just rocks! my buddy has his already and it is awesome!! i order mine in the morning!!

WML

by WML » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 am

As far as belay parkas and "hang out at camp" jackets go, I have three different ones:

1. Patagonia Nano Puff - This thing is perfect for summertime in Tuolumne or other areas where temps can be chilly but not bitter cold at the time of your trip. If it gets wet out, well, it doesn't have a hood, so you better hope your shell hood will suffice to keep you sheltered from wind + snow/rain

2. Patagonia Down Sweater Hoody - The down sweater w/hood is very rad, awesome for winter in Red Rock or other mild, dry areas. Also nice for around town, but sheds snow pretty well, so long as it's not terribly wet Sierra Cement. I would wear it over a Houdini shell, R1, and merino baselayer down to about 30 degrees, maybe 25.

3. Patagonia DAS Parka - Simply the best, if it is wet, dry, or any chance of it getting bitter cold, this thing is a portable oven. Any kind of winter alpinism in the high country or just general mountaineering in cold places, this thing is burly.

I have experience with these three and the Patagonia Micro Puff (old style)...the old Puff is a good one, just sold it, but definitely quality. The new Nano is awesome, SO thin and surprisingly warm....gotta love the Patagucci!

Previous

Return to Gear