High Peaks Help

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
beaudittl

High Peaks Help

by beaudittl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Anyone been up on Cascade and Porter lately? I'm planning a trip up there in a few weeks, wondering what the conditions are like.

triyoda

by triyoda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:07 pm

I have not been up Cascade and Porter, but have been in the area the last two weekends. On the way up Giant two weeks ago, the first mile is pretty thin snow and kind of icy, crampons or microspikes/yaktrax would probably beat snowshoes. Plenty of snow above 3000'. I was up to Lake Tear in the Clouds last weekend. Plenty of snow the whole way. Placid area has more snow at the lower elevations than Keene area. Bottom line is right now conditions are quite good, probably good to have snowshoes and crampons.

beaudittl

by beaudittl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Ok thanks. I've been putting it off all winter, and my spring break from college is in a few weeks so I figured I'd hit it then.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 pm

beaudittl wrote:Ok thanks. I've been putting it off all winter, and my spring break from college is in a few weeks so I figured I'd hit it then.

In the High Peaks region, things could change a LOT in a couple weeks.

My suggestion would be to check here or here for more up-to-date conditions just prior to your trip.

beaudittl

by beaudittl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Ya that's the plan. We're not gonna set a date until a few days before we leave to avoid bad weather.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)