Summit Post Page Editor and Photo Uploading SUCKS!!!11111

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Instead of whining about it, why don't you volunteer to help out the site and upgrade the programs.

Now that would indeed be helpful and most certainly a major contribution to SP.

A solution to the problem.... what concept.

Far too eassier to whine and complain yet do nothing to be part of the solution.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I'm not a programmer hence my reliance on the tools.

DMT

SQUISHY IS!

Use your resources...

We can all do what we can to make this place better.

Complaining don't do nothing positive in that regards.

Just say'n.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Only 2 hours! DMT, it may take me 2 days (well, off-and-on).

Yep, it's an arcane process, and probably seems 2nd nature to folks who work with html or derivatives all the time.

At times I wished I could just edit the stuff in Word (bringing the photos); convert to a PDF; upload the PDF to SP. Most browsers would open the pdf automatically, and anyone who really cared could download the pdf and print it in a readable format. However, that would make the process of editing abandoned pages very hard, and searching would have to go through another engine.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Summit Post Page Editor and Photo Uploading SUCKS!!!1111

by Bob Burd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I know you elves don't give a shit... you're too busy running people off and closing down forums. But really (and spare me the HTML lectures, I'm a climber, not a freakin programmer)

You're barking up the wrong tree. The elves don't have access to the code or database and can't give others access even if they wished to. There are only three folks that do - owners Josh & Ryle, and their trusty proxy, Montana Matt. Haven't heard from the first two in years, and Matt occasionally pops up to fix something that breaks the site.

But if it makes you feel better, you may continue to rant here.

Carry on.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm

FWIW, I volunteered to help do some minor programming stuff a while back (like sending email notifications when people get PMs or that kind of things) and was told that the owners had no interest in anything of that sort happening...

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Hmm, Dingus, I must have gotten used to the site but I thin I can't complain like you do. There are a couple of tricks I employ, however. First: use tabs on your browser to "work in parallel". To upload a dozen pics control-click on the create new picture link and then upload the pics one by one.

Leave the pics on the tabs in the browser and start editing your tr in yet another tab. Switch back and forth to retrieve the numbers of your pics and don't use the slow and clumsy picture dialog on the tr page. Well, use it once for the first pict, then copy to the other locations. Exchange numbers and captions (or don't use captions at all).

You'll find this will speed up your TR-posting time considerably. I would bet you'd be able to be almost as fast as with phpBB ...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:06 pm

If you don't mind some extra spacing, you can keep text from wrapping around figures at all. Go to a page where you don't see the wrap, and use your browser to see the source (a right click on Windows system brings up a "view source" option, typically) -- save the source and see how the other user formatted the text. There is an SP article on tables that is useful for "how-to."

A meager example:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ak-NV.html

I realize that this is a fairly trivial solution, but I don't think people mind a little extra space.

A lot of people upload originals that are well over 2500 pixels wide, so I can understand having a clickable link to the larger image, rather than show the original directly on a TR page.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:05 pm

DMT you can host your pics on another site but still place them in your trip report. It is pretty easy to do. I host all my maps on a different site so I can make them appear larger in my pages. Case in point is my Trinity Alps page. Head down to the maps section to see what I mean.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/307625/Trinity-Alps.html#chapter_28

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:19 pm

I agree that the SP interface is not up to current standards.

But Dingus, why are you putting TRs in a forum posting instead of, I dunno, creating a TR?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Typical city folk... need to hurry up & get it done NOW.

Patience is a virtue and many flatlander's seem to have completely lost that ability.

This OP is prime example of that....

Make it a standard TR.

Arthur Digbee wrote:But Dingus, why are you putting TRs in a forum posting instead of, I dunno, creating a TR?

Interesting point.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:I agree that the SP interface is not up to current standards.

But Dingus, why are you putting TRs in a forum posting instead of, I dunno, creating a TR?

He pointed that out already - he can do a forum TR much faster than he can use the editor in creating a TR.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:I agree that the SP interface is not up to current standards.

He pointed that out already - he can do a forum TR much faster than he can use the editor in creating a TR.

Ur doin it rong . . .

mvs

by mvs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:24 pm

A forum TR definitely is quicker to make. But your work doesn't become part of the SP database in that case, nicely embedded into a range/area/etc.

Nattford and yall other folks who want to help with the code/programming, understand that the bulk uploader was a stay-up-all-night feverishly-excited-because-I'm-going-to-help-the-SP-community deal, and boy did I get a splash of cold water. I was even told that Josh would under no circumstances want such a tool to exist. (Not that anyone asked him.) So if you make tools don't expect to work "hand in hand" with the elf community. That's just the truth.

People have been asking for modern features like RSS feeds and getting nowhere for years. Finally a member cobbled together the RSS thing on his own.

I love the site, I love making TRs and pages. But I wouldn't do it if I couldn't build tools to automate drudgework. So Chief, I'm just sayin that there are a lot of people who want to or wanted to help make creating content easier and they are consistently rebuffed. Dingus' rant has some justification.

Anyway, happy Saturday. I just got back from an awesome ski tour in the Stubai. If I can stay awake I'll make a page for it. :lol:

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 am

The Chief wrote:Instead of whining about it, why don't you volunteer to help out the site and upgrade the programs.

Far too eassier to whine and complain yet do nothing to be part of the solution.

Technical help on this site has been offered multiple times. Never has it been accepted. I've been saying for a while that we need a summitpost v3.0. As far as I'm concerned, the two owners DO sell the site (and make some money). I love this place for all the info and I'd like to see it grow.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:28 pm

WouterB wrote:
The Chief wrote:Instead of whining about it, why don't you volunteer to help out the site and upgrade the programs.

Technical help on this site has been offered multiple times. Never has it been accepted. I've been saying for a while that we need a summitpost v3.0. As far as I'm concerned, the two owners DO sell the site (and make some money). I love this place for all the info and I'd like to see it grow.

BOB BURD... GANGOLF... DAVE K... the rest of the ELVES?????

Is this true????

I do not mind getting shit on if my outlandishness and obnoxiousness can and will help the system better itself.

C'mon Elf dudes, if there are in fact folks that have been offering to make this site better and ya'll have been tell'n em to bag off, that aint at tall cool.

I say let em give ya hand to do it better.

Me personally, don't know much about this programing shet and when I do write a Page, take my time and am not in any rush to finish it.

I'll be writing some very soon and have already figured out the current system. So, no real big deal for me.....

Next

Return to Site Feedback