Die, Angeles Crest Highway, Die!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
x15x15

by x15x15 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:51 pm

fossana wrote:Just heard this morning on NPR that ACH will be closed from La Cañada to Islip for another 1.5+ months. Enjoy it while you can.

bwahahahaha... waterman is HOSED! All that snow with no road...

johnm

by johnm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 am

x15x15 wrote:
fossana wrote:Just heard this morning on NPR that ACH will be closed from La Cañada to Islip for another 1.5+ months. Enjoy it while you can.

Sucks for the guy that finally reopened it.

Ze

by Ze » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 am

so they won't try to stop you from cycling up? hmmm....

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 am

Ze wrote:

They just might. Last weekend I rode over Angeles Forest Hwy to Big Tujunga. Although there was no road closure listed on the NF site and the sign at Aliso Cyn Rd wasn't clear about using the road, the sheriffs told me it was closed to bikes and hikers. The sign I saw at Aliso and Angeles Forest said the area was closed due to the fire and requested that people remain on the highway. The sheriffs let me go about my ride but warned that the CHP might not be so friendly.

It was a nice ride. Except for a few sandy spots, from Acton to Tujunga is in perfect shape...minus all the plants and trees and animals. I tried to get up the road to Pacifico but the snow wasn't ridable.

The amount that burned is unbelievable.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 am

x15x15 wrote:

Totally figures doesn't it?

fossana

by fossana » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 am

Sean Kenney wrote:
Ze wrote:

They just might. Last weekend I rode over Angeles Forest Hwy to Big Tujunga. Although there was no road closure listed on the NF site and the sign at Aliso Cyn Rd wasn't clear about using the road, the sheriffs told me it was closed to bikes and hikers. The sign I saw at Aliso and Angeles Forest said the area was closed due to the fire and requested that people remain on the highway. The sheriffs let me go about my ride but warned that the CHP might not be so friendly.

It was a nice ride. Except for a few sandy spots, from Acton to Tujunga is in perfect shape...minus all the plants and trees and animals. I tried to get up the road to Pacifico but the snow wasn't ridable.

The amount that burned is unbelievable.

I also rode up there on my cross bike 2 weekends ago in the closed area (Glendale to Big Tujunga to AFH to ACH and back). I passed cops (1 at BT and 4-5 at the ACH entrance) and the road crew locking the gate in Big Tujunga. No one tried to stop me; I even explicitly asked the road crew. Surprisingly there were no other cyclists up there. Photos here.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Small slideshow (no pun intended!):

then why did i laugh so hard? blew my morning coffee on my scree!!! dangit gary!

x15x15

by x15x15 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm

fatdad wrote:
x15x15 wrote:

brings a tear to my eye. that's the hill i learned to shred through the trees. every-now-and-then, waterman wojuld be blessed with bottomless powder... oh, that is a special hill.

Rob

by Rob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

x15x15 wrote:
fatdad wrote:
x15x15 wrote:

brings a tear to my eye. that's the hill i learned to shred through the trees. every-now-and-then, waterman wojuld be blessed with bottomless powder... oh, that is a special hill.

There is a detour to access Mt. Waterman through upper Big T. Not open now, but the owner of Waterman says they hope to be open NEXT weekend for skiing.

fossana

by fossana » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am

Shut down by a ranger today on my bike ride just before the Big Tujunga road closure b/c "they haven't had time to assess the new landslides and there's too much liability". He said to call the office in a few days to check on the status. Probably just bad timing on my part.

no avatar
WileyCoyote

"Red Box" or Chilao

by WileyCoyote » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Why not just run the ACH up to the ol' Red Box point or no further than Chilao as both still have decent size turnouts and limit vehicle size past Clear Creek RS fro there up to one of those two points??

That would leave the ACH clear of motorized vehicles except for fire trucks and maintenance vehicles from backside of Mt. Wilson. This would leave plenty of road for access to Mbers w/o hazard of motorcycles and knuckleheads driving cars and trucks too fast coming down to Red Box or Chilao. It would also leave parts of gabrielino and PCT free of the same hazards or distractions.

Gary, the ACH will never be torn down or just let nature take its course. Using your thinking and logic, I'm sure Tongva and the other four nations they had contact with from around what we call the San Gabriels would like MBers and all motorized vehicle alike out of the ANF. And they would probably look at climbers in a similar vein.

Rob

by Rob » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 am

ACH update: Still closed.

News story about Mt. Waterman:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7300998

tiogap

by tiogap » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:44 pm

I recently talked to a ANF ranger. He says that word on the street is that ACH will not be open before June, or July at the earliest. this is at the behest of Caltrans. Thats not to say that you won't be able to access the forest from the Wrightwood side

Rob

by Rob » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 pm

tiogap wrote:I recently talked to a ANF ranger. He says that word on the street is that ACH will not be open before June, or July at the earliest. this is at the behest of Caltrans. Thats not to say that you won't be able to access the forest from the Wrightwood side

Well, as a loyal Mt. Waterman skier, I've been obsessively checking the snow phone for updates, since the Cal Trans site is pretty much never accurate. So the recording is now saying that they have the road cleared all the way up, but it's closed for public safety, until the storm passes. The route that is available goes up Big Tujunga to upper Big-T, which are L.A. County not CalTrans juristiction, and that's the part that's closed for now. The front route, from La Canada to Mount Wilson is closed due to road damage, and will take time to fix (so they say).

So, bottom line is, that the road could possibly be open by next Friday, or sooner...fingers crossed. 8)[/u]

PreviousNext

Return to California