KING OF THE WORLD!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Mountains are nocturnal, so I climb them during the day only; otherwise they might get really ticked and do something nasty. When you climb them during the day, you must be careful not to wake them (remember Sinbad and that giant fish). That is the principal reason that you should never use an ice axe and crampons when there is no snow, and why pitons are rarely used anymore.

bird

by bird » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Reminds me of standing on the summit of Orizaba in January and realizing I was the highest person (insert pot joke here) in all of North America at that moment. It was a pretty cool feeling.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Catamount wrote:For me, the appeal is quite the opposite. Mountains make me feel small and insignificant.
Exactly. And all of my problems are not really that important either. :D

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:33 am

bird wrote:Reminds me of standing on the summit of Orizaba in January and realizing I was the highest person (insert pot joke here) in all of North America at that moment. It was a pretty cool feeling.

Assuming you can ignore the thousands of folks aloft in airplanes at 30,000ft at any given moment... :)

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:52 am

Grampahawk wrote:
Catamount wrote:For me, the appeal is quite the opposite. Mountains make me feel small and insignificant.
Exactly. And all of my problems are not really that important either. :D

Well said! I was fortunate enough to notice several years ago that my problems disappeared while climbing. Of course, most of them are still around when I get back, but the day-long respite is pretty damned nice.

Previous

Return to General