Kings Peak Area Conditions/Traffic

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Floyd

Kings Peak Area Conditions/Traffic

by Floyd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Looking at heading out in a few weeks from Colorado - first experience in Utah We're planning on spending 8-days camped in the Henry's Fork area going after the 13ers around there. I've been told we need to plan on parking about 5 miles short of the TH - is that accurate? I've seen several TRs from winter, but how much traffic does the area actually see? (Are we breaking trail or is there a resemblance of a trail that we can use?) What are conditions like currently? We're obviously keeping an eye on weather between now and then to gauge things.

Thanks in advance,
Scot

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Winter parking is at N40 57.162 W110 18.893

This is 3.5 miles away from the summer trailhead.

Typically there is not much traffic in that area. However, there are usually a few trail breaking trips prior to the Wasatch Mountain Club's annual one day ski trip to Kings Peak held this year on March 27.

Floyd

by Floyd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Perfect, well there's 3 miles less that we'd have to worry about anyways. We'd be there the 20-28th so it sounds like the exit would be nice and easy, but we may be part of the "trailbreaking crew" on the approach. Anyone been that way recently?

Judd97

by Judd97 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 am

I'm heading out to Kings with a group of friends the following week, probably around the 30th or so for a 1-2 nighter. Please keep this thread updated if you can! :)

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)