indoor rock wall supervisor advice

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
alpinejason

indoor rock wall supervisor advice

by alpinejason » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Just looking for advice:

I applied for an indoor rock wall supervisor position and don't have any experience in the field. Monday I have a follow up interview with the company's GM.

It's a small wall, 40' tall and probably 12-15 ropes and only open in the evenings and weekends. They currently offer a few classes but families and birthday parties appear to be the majority of their clientele. Anybody have advice or point me to some reference material, books, magazines, etc. on running a successful wall? I've been climbing at an indoor wall for a few years and see how often they change routes, the types of classes they offer, etc. but it doesn't mean it's the best system out there. Safety is imperative, I understand that. Got a lot of experience climbing so that's good. What do you know? Advice?

Cheers.
Jason

bird

by bird » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Safety and customer service. That's it. Problem solving, management, no headaches for the GM. Safety is good, climbing 5.13...who cares. Cleaning the pizza off the floor after the party, that's the value you'll bring. Ask the GM what he/she thinks is most important and parrot that back. Ask lots of questions if you can. People like to talk about how great they are, if you can get her/him talking, the battles half won.

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks Bird. Sounds like I got most of it covered, I think anyway. I don't know their belay certification program and things like that yet.

This appears to be very corporate so maybe there won't be as much flexibility as far as offering classes, buy new rental gear, changing routes, etc. that I hoped there would be. Bummer.

lowlands

by lowlands » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:17 pm

At first when you said no experience in the field, I thought you meant you had never climbed before, :shock:

Just monitor that everyone is maintaining the safety standards that you yourself would practice, assuming they're proper. [/img]

drpw

by drpw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Safety first, Safety last.

Return to General