Recommendations near Las Vegas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I guess I should say that by Calico, I mean the slightly remoter sections where most rock climbers do not go; there are wild canyons close to the parking, but behind some rugged terrain. Bighorns are abundant, but warier than in Red Rock, since they can't escape to sandstone ledges as quickly.

If you have a GPS, I can send tracks.

Bighorn ewes near Calico, in Gateway Canyon:

There are often bighorns on Kraft Mountain just behind the north Calico parking, but it takes a sharp eye to see them.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:52 pm

1000Pks wrote:Where's cp015, he knows everything?

cp015 is little more than a putz who gets out a lot. That being said, there are literally hundreds of things to be done. Most of those already mentioned, such as Redcap, White Rock, White Domes, Moapa and Mescalito, are high-quality and recommended this time of year.

Bob, lemme know next time you're coming to Valley of Fire. I recently found my way up the Valley of Fire HP (after a failed first attempt a couple years ago). A fun peak with very interesting scrambling and route-finding!

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)