Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Diego Sahagún

Gear slipped into cracks and inaccesible cavities

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm

This topic is only for telling your stories about things being accidentally slipped or gotten into inaccesible hollows as fissures, fallen into cracks in glaciers or below snow patches, etc. There are other topics for things being forgotten on the ground, rocks, meadows, snow or other surfaces. Please do not use this thread for that.

I thought on creating this topic after my new mobile phone was blown by the wind, slipped up on a rock and finished getting in unobserved into a fissure. Luckily I could take it by introducing my arm in a crack below the rock. It only had a few scratches. On Veleta we left a cantine stopper fell between a 3-4 meters high very hard snow patch and rock, it was impossible to reach it.
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:59 pm

On Mt. Hood, I took off my pack without thinking about the fact that my brand new camera was attached to the waist strap. I remembered it just in time to watch it roll 30 ft. down a crevasse. Luckily, we were there to ice climb and had the gear needed to climb down at a wider spot and crawl along the bottom to retrieve it.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 am

My brother set down his glacier glasses on a rock on a moraine. The glasses sid off the rock and dropped down into inaccessible reaches of the moraine. We spent two hours recovering the glasses.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 am

I usually take two or three pairs of sunglasses on any trip because I'm almost guaranteed to leave one or two behind while stopping to take pictures or do other things. I have lost a pair of sunglasses in almost every western state.

This is why I buy the $10 variety.

MScholes

by MScholes » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:45 am

My girlfriend and I a few years back were mountain biking on some rough trails. She pulled out ahead a bit and took a nasty spill over the handle bars and down the hill on a pretty nasty turn. When I got to her, she was able to sit up and move around although half her chin was hanging off, so we took off her helmet and brand new expensive oakley sunglasses... after doing the necessary things and getting her down the trail to get taken to hospital (12 stiches and a week off work if I remember correctly) I went back up to get the bike and helmet and totally spazzed as the glasses just sat there on that rock... forgotten.

They didn't fall into any unaccesible point... but someone picked em up not long after, as I remembered that I didn't have them so biked back out to the spot later that day and they were gone. She never let me forget about that... So they definetly became unaccesible to us.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 am

Solo-trad on Tahquitz I got super-tired and had to leave my new rope and whole rack in-situ on the last pitch & 4th-classed out the top. Next day my low back was toast. Went home and came back the next week. Went up to the top and rapped down to retrieve the gear. It was all right there.

Good thing I was climbing completely off the guide book routes. Fun line too. Just left of the larks. Sweet 5-5 overhang finish.

That would have been a load of booty if anyone ever went up that way.

Tbenner

sad story

by Tbenner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 am

last year a boy climbed Mt McGinnis Juneau AK. He reached the summit and took his pack off. I rains ALOT here so it was cloudy and his pack slid off the summit toward the backside. He thought it didnt fall to far, so decided to down climb to get it. He fell to his death. Its a really easy climb, people climb it all year, young and old. This just shows that even on the most Innocent looking climb, death is always waiting (in the clouds). RIP. Be safe you all and have fun.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:36 am

Forbidden Peak, 2002. Dan and I had been up since 2 am, we hiked from the car up through Boston Basin, over a pass (forgot the name) and crossed a glacier to the North Ridge of the peak. Amazing climb! We descended the West Ridge, then the steep snow couloir to access the glacier. I was tired and decided to use the rappel anchors along the edge of the gully. CLANG! On rappel, my foot got caught in a crack between ice and rock, tipping me sideways...which caused me to lose my ice axe in the deep moat. I had thought I was pretty cool putting the axe between my pack and my back. As if that wasn't bad enough, the ropes got stuck at the next anchor, somewhere deep in the moat. Great. Here I am at the tail end of a 16 hour day with no rope and no ice axe, somehow gotta get over the 'schrund to relative safety.

Somebody found that rope later, wondered what the hell happened. Sigh.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 am

OK, this is probably TMI, but because one of my gal pal climbing buddies talked about how much of the climbing trad gear could be confused as bizarre sex toys, the title of this thread got me laughing . . .

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 am

:lol:

What's TMI :?:

MScholes

by MScholes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 am

Diego Sahagún wrote::lol:

What's TMI :?:

Great story! and TMI = Too much information

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:52 pm

I have flat feet, so I'd dropped $500 on a pair of custom orthotics for my shoes. Near the top of Mount Edith, I was switching from my rock shoes to my hiking shoes when the right-foot orthotic fell out of my shoe and promptly slipped into a bottomless crack. My buddy and I spent about an hour trying to find the thing. Never did.

$500 down the drain.

And I got a gnarly blister hiking out.

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 pm

I lost a lens cover to my old camera into a snowfield crack, which was then washed away by the meltwater. I later scratched the lens. Luckily it wasn't a super expensive camera. I dropped my ice axe into a moat, luckily I was able to retrieve it. I haven't dropped my ice axe since that, too scary to think of possible consequences.

norco17

by norco17 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Mark Straub wrote:I lost a lens cover to my old camera into a snowfield crack, which was then washed away by the meltwater. I later scratched the lens. Luckily it wasn't a super expensive camera. I dropped my ice axe into a moat, luckily I was able to retrieve it. I haven't dropped my ice axe since that, too scary to think of possible consequences.

Put a leash on your ax and a uv filter on your lens.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 pm

I thought somebody in this thread would be telling the story about smuggling a full set of C4's across the border hidden in...um...you know, a "body cavity." :shock:

Anybody...?

Next

Return to General