What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Didn't do anything I wanted to this winter :(

Went on my first boulder trip yesterday to WV. OH bouldering in yo face!

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 pm

First climbing outdoor this season last sunday. :)
Had to leave early though, so didn't climb much at all. :(

The season has begun though. :D

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Took a bunch of kids to Mammoth Cave last weekend. It was raining on the surface, but in the cave . . . who cares?

dwhike

by dwhike » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:Took a bunch of kids to Mammoth Cave last weekend. It was raining on the surface, but in the cave . . . who cares?

Thinking of taking the family down there in June. Any recommendations for tours/hikes with trail tested 6 and 8 year olds?

dwhike

by dwhike » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:
dwhike wrote:...who knew Iowa could be so COOL!!!!

Don't kid yourself.

Alcohol impairs judgment...which is a big help in Iowa... :roll:

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm

dwhike wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:Took a bunch of kids to Mammoth Cave last weekend. It was raining on the surface, but in the cave . . . who cares?

Thinking of taking the family down there in June. Any recommendations for tours/hikes with trail tested 6 and 8 year olds?

Scared of the dark? Claustrophobia? Anxiety attacks? Worth considering. (I had some issues among my 18-year-olds, successfully addressed.)

I've done
Historic Tour (1 hour, walking in through a natural entrance). Anyone can do this, and can get out if they're scared.

Frozen Niagara (1-1/4 hours), through side tunnel. Impressive formations. Once in, you're stuck, though.

Grand Avenue (4.5 hours), 4 miles, 670 steps, additional steep up & down, physically challenging but a trail-tested 8-year old could do it. Some six-year-olds could too. You come out through Frozen Niagara. Excellent sampler for the entire cave -- four very different segments.

Go to www.nps.gov/maca for list of current tours. Many tours overlap with those three (i.e., Snowball, New Entrance), so I can tell you about overlapping bits.

I'd love to do the Wild Cave but haven't yet. Mark Didier has, you might check with him. Your kids are probably a bit too young still.

The Lantern Tour might be cool for kids -- using lanterns in easy passages instead of the artificial lights.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:58 pm

As long as you guys are talking caves, you might find this cool. It is not close to where y'all are at, but thought it was worth pointing out.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:
dwhike wrote:

I'd love to do the Wild Cave but haven't yet. Mark Didier has, you might check with him. Your kids are probably a bit too young still.

Dan - Here is the link for the Wild Cave Tour listing the restrictions - looks like 16 is the minimum age. http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/tour-wildcave.htm

Honestly, unless your kids are over 5 feet tall I would think it would be pretty dangerous - I doubt that they would be able to reach across a few of the precipices. There was actually a fair amount of exposure - you just didn't notice it because it was pitch black below!

This was a pretty difficult day - glad I did it, but difficult. You spend a lot of time on your belly in the first half and that gets pretty tiring. My arms were much more tired at the end of the day than my legs were - from dragging myself across the ground. The first half is more of the tight space caving. The second half you spend more time hiking. Check out my album on the Arthur's Mammoth Cave page if you're interested.

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Went to colorado to climb Mount bierstadt and ski at cooper mountain ski area.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:18 pm

MarkDidier wrote:Honestly, unless your kids are over 5 feet tall I would think it would be pretty dangerous - I doubt that they would be able to reach across a few of the precipices. There was actually a fair amount of exposure - you just didn't notice it because it was pitch black below!

This was a pretty difficult day - glad I did it, but difficult. You spend a lot of time on your belly in the first half and that gets pretty tiring. My arms were much more tired at the end of the day than my legs were - from dragging myself across the ground. The first half is more of the tight space caving. The second half you spend more time hiking.

Thanks for the update, Mark. It's an interesting setting for exposure!

One of the kids in my group works at the local climbing wall; two others have roped up occasionally. They'd love it. I think the others might be a little freaked. But I'll let them all know.

dwhike

by dwhike » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 pm

MarkDidier wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:
dwhike wrote:

Dan - Here is the link for the Wild Cave Tour listing the restrictions - looks like 16 is the minimum age. http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/tour-wildcave.htm

Thanks guys, I know I could've probably looked it up myself but we all get to be lazy once in a while, right? :wink: The Wind Tour looks really cool Mark, looks like if I can get in on one I might get an afternoon to myself as the wife is mildly claustrophobic...

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I've been out bouldering a few times this year. High cliff, been working on the traverse of the gods. I can now offically do all the moves. It is still being done in about 12 sections though. It's one crazy overhanging long traverse. By the time you get to the easy section it's no longer easy. If anyone is every in the area. Let me know.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 pm

My epic 1000th post!!!!

Outofstep80 where is that place?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Doogie put up a Coopers Rock page. Add photos, add routes, and vote. Midwest for the win.

Chinigo

by Chinigo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:51 am

I put up pages for the North Country Trail, including a page for the NCT in Michigan and Michigan section 01. Further submissions to expand these are welcome.

I hope that others will attach pages to these objects so that we can cover the NCT more fully.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)