Augest trip plan

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Catskillhiker

Augest trip plan

by Catskillhiker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:05 am

day 1
hike in from lodge to phelps trail hike phelps mt return
hike to indian falls and bag tabletop and TR mountains
hike to lake arnold and set up camp

Day 2
hike mt. colden from arnold
move camp to feldspar broke

(this leavs a good half a day open, any ideas on what to hit for the rest of the day?)

day 3
Hike too lake tear of the clouds then hike skylight return to lake tear and hike gray peak, go directly to marcy from gray
return to feldspar broke

day 4 (any day that is a rain day possably)
hike cliff mountain, and possably redfeild and return to camp

day 5
hike out through avalanche pass back to the lodge

all days are around 8 miles a day or so

is this doable and is it possable to bag more peaks in the area, if so which ones, and any sugestions to change in the plans?

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:51 pm

If you can hike better than you can spell I'd say you have a chance. (Sorry I had to)

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm

EastcoastMike wrote:If you can hike better than you can spell I'd say you have a chance. (Sorry I had to)

+1 :lol:

JScoles

by JScoles » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:12 pm

When I first read your trip plan I thought you were in you 60s or 70s so what you plan is quite doable

I think you can push that a bunch without much problem
I think you are doing way too much back tracking and over lapping or routes

Why break camp so often?
Grey and Table Top do not have trails to the top and Grey at least could take you the whole day just to get to the top
The hike up to Arnold lake from Marcy Brook is one of the steepest in the DAKs BTW
You might not want to end your day with it.

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 pm

I cant spell i already know that, blamed mostly on sever abuse when i was a baby so don't judge me

actually only moving camp once, from lake Arnold to feldspar broke, and coming in the van trail to Marcy(along Phelps broke), not up Marcy broke from avalanche camp, already knew about the rocky stuff on that trail

and the day 4 thing is assuming it will rain sometime on the trip, which is a good bet, climb the mountain with no view on the rainy day

and if you live in new york in august like i do you know the heat can bring rain almost any time

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Catamount wrote:
Catskillhiker wrote:and the day 4 thing is assuming it will rain sometime on the trip, which is a good bet, climb the mountain with no view on the rainy day

and if you live in new york in august like i do you know the heat can bring rain almost any time

Fair enough.

Anyway, it seems like you've put a good amount of thought into the trip. Your agenda looks good with the exception of the Gray to Marcy bit, which I would rethink if I were you. In addition to being unecessarily difficult, doing an off-trail route to Marcy will require you to trample the alpine vegetation. If you encounter a summit steward on the day of your hike, your conversation will likely be ... unpleasant.

+1

I think descending back to Lake Tear from Gray and then going up Marcy is really straightforward and unless you are looking for extra adventure seems like the best choice.

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 am

ya, unsure on what will defently happen for sure, but i have been told by a 46er i know to move camp to Herbert Brooke day 4 and bag Marshall as well, was planing to watch my step though i know about the plants, the idea to go directly to gray came from someone who did it in 08 and said their was a somewhat decent path and wanting to cut down on distance for my sisters sake, already amusing she wont condition as rigorously as i will/ am their for moving more like a 60 year old (which may not be entirely fair to say, last year hurricane mountain the hike leaders were in their 70's and moved faster than any 20 year old i know, even my multiple friends who ran track in high school (and were good)) had to keep it under 12 miles for her and include TR mountain because its named after good old teddy-)

assuming i get the mountain goat to go and another slow hiker i will have 2 groups and with the mountain goat have the speed possibly to do the great range in one day(not part of the trip, but an idea of his speed)

Oh ya, how does the kattskills(dutch-local spelling) devils path compare to the Marcy trail out of Marcy dam to marcy(steepness wise?)

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)