Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dmiki

by dmiki » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 am

Glad that Mark is safe and crossing my fingers for Tom.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

The latest reports do not look good for Tom. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, and with Mark who has been through a tough and tragic situation.

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/mar/30/one-climber-safe-storm-postpones-search-for-man/

andreeacorodeanu

by andreeacorodeanu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:42 pm

I will pray for Tom, I hope he will resist :( ...

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Mark, it sounds like you did your best under the circumstances. It's difficult to have to wait so long to reach Tom, not knowing how he's doing.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

PellucidWombat did a lot more than most people would do. What strength he had, mental and physical, to dig two snow caves in those conditions. His report of ataxia tells me that he was braving on in the face of what he knew was a very likely outcome.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 pm

As of this morning, the weather has significantly improved here in Mt Shasta; the bottom 2/3 of the mountain are clear of cloud. Hopefully this helps get rescue crews up there quickly.

Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm

God, hang in there Tom. We're all pulling for you. I hope the rescuers get up there as fast as humanly possible. Glad you're OK, Mark. This is a tragic situation.
Last edited by Diggler on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Sending a prayer for Tom. I'm glad one is back safe...

cleopatra

by cleopatra » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

I never realized HACE could progress so quickly and severely at "only" 14k.

Still holding out hope that they can get to Tom today, and that he still has a chance. I can't imagine being in Mark's position - I know he did everything he could for Tom. Staying with Tom for 2 days and 2 nights, dragging him into snow caves. Mark is someone I'd want as a partner if I were in trouble.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:As of this morning, the weather has significantly improved here in Mt Shasta; the bottom 2/3 of the mountain are clear of cloud. Hopefully this helps get rescue crews up there quickly.

That's good news. Let's hope for the best.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

cleopatra wrote:Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

Still holding out hope that they can get to Tom today, and that he still has a chance. I can't imagine being in Mark's position - I know he did everything he could for Tom. Staying with Tom for 2 days and 2 nights, dragging him into snow caves. Mark is someone I'd want as a partner if I were in trouble.

I agree. Sounds like Mark made the right decisions. They need to get to Tom very soon!

Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 pm

cleopatra wrote:Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

Very well said. I wouldn't have fathomed this happening before I heard about this. I saw Tom fly up his first ice lead a few weekends ago, and still am having a very hard time wrapping my head around the idea that altitude affected him as it did. Mark is experienced, strong, intelligent, resourceful, and the kind of guy you want as a partner when something goes wrong. We're thinking of both of you guys. Hang in there, Tom.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm

It clouded up again very quickly in the last couple of hours and there is now very light snow falling down here at 3700'. Not looking good:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 042D74.DTL

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Dear everyone. I'm down safe and well.

I disagree with some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories, and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate.

While I'm touched by the outpouring of support from you all, in respect for Tom and his family, please limit your messages to me to be via e-mail or PMs for now. My phone battery is dead, so I won't be accessible by phone.

- Mark

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Most recent reports do seem to indicate that Mark believed Tom was dead before he left him to hike down. Hope that is not the case. Still pulling for you, Tom.
http://www.redding.com/news/2010/mar/30 ... ta-rescue/

PreviousNext

Return to California