Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Matt Worster

by Matt Worster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Respectfully, somberly, here's to you both.

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:09 pm

My thoughts are with Mark and Tom.
Last edited by Vladislav on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 pm

:(

kamil

by kamil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 pm

My thoughts are with Tom wherever he is and with Mark.
Last edited by kamil on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 pm

To Mark and to the Family & Friends of Tom: Regardless of what this "JakeSnake" character has to say, you have the support of many of us in the SP community.

This is a trying time for you, I am sure - I wish you all the best.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

From what I read over the past couple of days, Mark did the right thing and I feel for him and the family of Tom. This must've been a VERY hard thing to do.

Rick B

by Rick B » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

My best wishes to Mark, Tom, friends and family. Very sad to hear this.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am

To all of those concerned, my prayers for your comfort during this very difficult time. To Mark, just from the tid bits we got you put it all on the line.

To Michael J. White, M.D. from Portland Oregon, (AKA Jakesnake)- Why dont you just keep your piehole closed until we hear the other side of the story. Way to put your name on your SP profile. tool!

I mean Mark asked to do that so we should honor it!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 am

Elves, can you lock this thread to keep misunderstandings from being posted? Maybe give Mark a separate locked thread to give details, if and when he wants. I know that all have good intentions, but I think many folks are just responding to the first page, and not seeing the comments on page 4.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 am

To those concerned:

Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.

MoapaPk: Out of concern for SP members who want to express their feelings and well wishings, I'm not going to lock the thread. It would be wrong to not permit them to express their feelings, etc., but I'm riding herd on this thread and inappropriate posts will be zapped without explanation. Thanks for your concern. It's appreciated!

So, to anyone posting, if you think your post is over the top, then it is. Do not post it.

This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.

Best thoughts and prayers are extended to Mark, Tom and their families on behalf of the SP staff.

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:22 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.

Thanks Aaron

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 am

Steve Larson wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.

Thanks Aaron

Yep, good post, Aaron.

My thoughts go out to those two guys and their families.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:To those concerned:

Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.

Thanks Aaron, I'd been watching it as well, but in a few hours while I'm out it got a bit out hand. I'll likely delete new members and their posts unless they have positive contribution to it. If you have any issues with anything about how it's being managed, please continue with the PMs (very helpful to alert us) or use Site Feedback.

Aaron Johnson wrote:Best thoughts and prayers are extended to Mark, Tom and their families on behalf of the SP staff.

My sentiments exactly. God bless.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.

Also, folks, be aware that Bay Area news outlets are reading this forum and reporting it in the news to the public. We should, as a community, be on our best behavior.

Thomas did not reply to an interview request Tuesday. But in an entry on a Web site for outdoors enthusiasts, summitpost.org, he said he disputed "some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate."

In his profile, Thomas identifies himself as an advanced climber who has reached the summit of Mount Shasta three times, most recently in February.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0jiYrAMes

All the best to the families, friends and loved ones of both gentlemen involved.

PreviousNext

Return to California