Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dswink

by dswink » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 am

My thoughts and prayers are for Tom's safe return.

I was really happy to read that Mark has made it back. Be well.

no avatar
Zzyzx

by Zzyzx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 am

sarah.simon wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.

Also, folks, be aware that Bay Area news outlets are reading this forum and reporting it in the news to the public. We should, as a community, be on our best behavior.

Thomas did not reply to an interview request Tuesday. But in an entry on a Web site for outdoors enthusiasts, summitpost.org, he said he disputed "some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate."

In his profile, Thomas identifies himself as an advanced climber who has reached the summit of Mount Shasta three times, most recently in February.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0jiYrAMes

All the best to the families, friends and loved ones of both gentlemen involved.

They got it right in the last paragraph:

Allen said the two climbers had to walk or snowshoe at least 5 miles to reach the trailhead with 40-pound backpacks.

"You have to be very ambitious to climb the mountain from that side this time of the year," Allen said. "These guys knew what they were doing; they weren't just off the streets."

Mark, whatever really happened I have no doubt that you did everything possible under the circumstances to help Tom. We're all happy you made it back and we keep Tom and his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers,

-Kris

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 am

Zzyzx wrote:Mark, whatever really happened I have no doubt that you did everything possible under the circumstances to help Tom.

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but I was having a hard time coming up with the words. I'm glad you made it down safe, Mark. I hoping for the best.

cleopatra

by cleopatra » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am

The SFGate article has the best-informed writing so far -

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Agreed, the Fresno Bee article is the most balanced I have seen.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm

ScottyP wrote:Agreed, the Fresno Bee article is the most balanced I have seen.

+1. Looks like they did everything right; this is just one of those freak occurrences.

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Very happy to hear Mark is okay, and equally saddened to hear the news of Tom.

Reading online reports as this story developed, I was very irritated to read some of the comments posted by idiots who spewed comments about a subject of which they had zero knowledge. I've climbed with Mark many times, and know how careful and conscientious he is. Mark: if you encounter any of this garbage in the coming weeks/months, ignore it.

cleopatra

by cleopatra » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Friends and local climbers: please contact me if you're interested in details, debriefings, and community gatherings.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:21 pm

The Fresno Bee article describes experienced and prepared mountaineers making the best decisions possible in the circumstances and showing absolute commitment to each other. It's what I hope I could and would do.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:56 pm

Sad and f-up deal.

:cry:

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Joseph Bullough wrote:Very happy to hear Mark is okay, and equally saddened to hear the news of Tom.

Reading online reports as this story developed, I was very irritated to read some of the comments posted by idiots who spewed comments about a subject of which they had zero knowledge. I've climbed with Mark many times, and know how careful and conscientious he is. Mark: if you encounter any of this garbage in the coming weeks/months, ignore it.

+1

Some people in our society are willing to take bold steps while others merely content to follow in those left by others. It's often the latter that offers the most criticism.

Haliku

by Haliku » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Glad Mark is down for certain. Sending positive energy and wishes for Tom and his family.

no avatar
snaps10

by snaps10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Just a quick note. I've been contacted twice by journalists asking to comment on the situation. I was neither on the climb, nor am I involved in the rescue, how would I know? They are pulling friends from facebook, SP, etc. and contacting them. If you're contacted, just think about what happens in the media with these type of things before you do an interview. I politely (well, no so politely to one guy) declined. Personally I would advise you to have them contact the Media Liaison for the Sheriff's dept.
Just in case anyone else gets contacted.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:The Fresno Bee article describes experienced and prepared mountaineers making the best decisions possible in the circumstances and showing absolute commitment to each other. It's what I hope I could and would do.

Agree Augie, looks like somebody really got things twisted in eralier reports- Press or Siskiyou Sherrifs office

"Susan Gravenkamp, a spokeswoman for the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office, said Bennett's family was traveling to the Mount Shasta area Tuesday.

Early reports that Thomas and Bennett had failed to take proper precautions were not entirely accurate, Gravenkamp said.

Mark Thomas had looked at National Weather Service forecasts before leaving home, she said.

The men were dressed warmly, had food and water, and carried a map and compass. They had let friends know their plans and were not required to fill out a wilderness permit because Mark Thomas held a seasonal pass, she said.

Gravenkamp said it would have been helpful if the men had checked in with rangers before climbing and looked at the latest forecast. It might have changed their plans, she said. "

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/03/31/187 ... z0jmQHTd94

PreviousNext

Return to California