Hesperus to Lavender and back?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

I did Hesperus, Lavender, Moss, and Sharkstooth; my partner did those plus Centennial. It was a 10 hour day in summer; I was ill that day. Here are my notes from then:

"From the North Fork Mancos TH as per the Covill and Mitchler county highpoint book to climb Hesperus, then ran ridge to Lavender, which involved a long descent off the ridge to the right to be able to cross one cliffy gully, then a few traverses below and passages through the ridge crest. The climbing was not too hard but was complicated and time-consuming. Ridge to Moss, return to saddle between, drop down to contour on Centennial's slopes below its cliffs to reach a point above Sharkstooth Pass on Centennial's slopes; too sick to do Centennial, rested at Pass for 30 min, then did Sharkstooth, back down trail."

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 pm

It is much easier (and better scenery) to do it from Tomahawk basin. Just head up to the saddle at the top of the basin and start following the ridge. Its pretty obvious and involves a fair amount of 4th class scrambling.

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm

You can make it most of the way up La Plata Canyon in your car (whith 1/2 of the Tomahawk basin road). No one actually drives up the basin road. Its an easy hike and much more scenic than any other approach.

Return to Colorado