6th Annual SP Summer Gathering in the Mighty San Juans

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Also note that there is a "ranked" but unnamed 13er directly to the WEST of Whitehead at elevation 13109. For people who don't want to "orphan" a peak (like myself :wink:), an out-and-back from Whitehead would be a nice early edition to this hike before continuing on with the rest of the loop. Adds maybe 800 vertical and 1 1/2 miles round trip for the out and back. Feel free to join me for this little side trip!

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=704

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:12 am

I wanted to bump this thread/announcement due to new and exciting developments. Check out the original post for added updates! Very cool stuff! 8)

gliderman

by gliderman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:44 am

As a newby to this organization, I just recently became aware of this get-together in the San Juans. I've now got it on my calendar, and look forward to both the hiking and meeting new folks who have similar interests. :D I'm lucky enough to spend my summers living in the southern end of the San Juans (Vallecito), but there is always so much more to see / hike over than I have not been to yet. Many years of hiking in the area, but only scratched the surface. I'll be heading up from the Durango area, if anyone happens to fly into there from some distant place and needs a ride to the Silverton area.

phlipdascrip

Re: 6th Annual SP Summer Gathering in the Mighty San Juans

by phlipdascrip » Thu May 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Aaron Johnson wrote:Image

Out of curiosity, does the point (ridge) where this picture is taken from have a name?

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow, I would like to try to make it. Maybe I can talk some more Idahoans or Utahites into going/car pooling. Sounds very cool.

no avatar
wuykats

by wuykats » Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 pm

We will be in Silverton for the last 2 weeks of July, a couple of us want to hike to the Old 100 boarding house high on Galena Mtn. Any one else interested? :?:

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sat May 08, 2010 12:21 am

Out of curiosity, does the point (ridge) where this picture is taken from have a name?

No. It is along a ridge to Kendall Peak (13,491), part of the Kendall Mountain Massif west of Silver Lake and east of Silverton. This ridge line is highly recommended by a local who is also an SP member in a previous post in this thread for those interested. Be sure to check it out.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 am

Already did, that's why I'm asking. We didn't finish the whole ridge though, we descended a neve couloir to the right just after the high point of the ridge down towards Silver Lake. Was a memorable trip.

gliderman

by gliderman » Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Those interested in the Old 100 hike.... I'm interested. Been there several times. Took a group of 12 to it several summers ago. The last few hundred yards of the trail has weatherd down to about 4 inches wide on a steep slippery scree slope, but the rest of the trail is fine. If one gets past the skimpy part, you can slither down to the old boarding house and mine.

Bob T.

no avatar
wuykats

by wuykats » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 am

Bob, I've heard that there is a bit of a narrow part to the Old 100 trail. We will be staying at "The Home of the Russian Princess" in Silverton the last two weeks of July. The house is on the southeast corner of Greene and 10th. I will be driving the red Jeep. Let me know, we'd be happy to have someone along that is experienced with the trail. :D

Liba Kopeckova

I will be in Russia

by Liba Kopeckova » Sat May 22, 2010 5:23 am

I would love to come, but I will be in Caucasus mountains in Russia during that time...

StumblingBear

SP Gathering

by StumblingBear » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Aaron & all,
Just saw this last night and my wife and I think we will head on up, most likely the 15th and stay til end of following week, we shall see if the plan holds, had already decided we were going to spend a week or so there now we have something to aim at. Thanks for info and organization, Stumblingbear

Chris

by Chris » Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip, unfortunately I'll be there the week before running the Hardrock 100. The course does summit Little Giant though, so at least I'll hit one of the peaks.

I'll make it out one of these years...

Have fun everyone! :-)

miztflip

by miztflip » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Chris wrote:Sounds like an awesome trip, unfortunately I'll be there the week before running the Hardrock 100. The course does summit Little Giant though, so at least I'll hit one of the peaks.

I'll make it out one of these years...

Have fun everyone! :-)

Sounds to me like a good taper the weekend before....

I for once may actually make it for atleast Saturday the 23rd.

I'm planning chicago basin in a day from the road on Friday 22nd if anyone is intrested......come on Gerber, it'll be a warm up for hardrock

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado