How to properly cut steps with an ice axe?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:35 pm

FortMental wrote:You're just asking this question to see who the old farts are, right? Why don't you ask "How to replace hobnails on my leather boots?" or "How do I splice my manila rope?" or "Repairing wool knickers?" ... see who replies!

Why else would you ask a question that hasn't been asked since the invention of 12 point crampons? Of course, you could easily figure this out for yourself in 10 minutes on real snow, or on YouTube, or FROM A BOOK!

Don't they have an app for that?

You said it all.

gk :)

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Guyzo wrote:
FortMental wrote:You're just asking this question to see who the old farts are, right? Why don't you ask "How to replace hobnails on my leather boots?" or "How do I splice my manila rope?" or "Repairing wool knickers?" ... see who replies!

Why else would you ask a question that hasn't been asked since the invention of 12 point crampons? Of course, you could easily figure this out for yourself in 10 minutes on real snow, or on YouTube, or FROM A BOOK!

Don't they have an app for that?

You said it all.

gk :)

Perhaps he should change his username to JudgeMental?

welle

by welle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 pm

It's helpful technique even if you have crampons on - say you have to take a rest on a steep snow slope, or belaying...

If I were to find out who the old farts are I'd ask them to show me how to do a triple wrapped bowline in place of a harness ;)

brenta

by brenta » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Good summary by knoback and Fred. When cutting steps on steep slopes, turn one side into the slope, carve a notch for the uphill hand and hold the axe in the downhill hand. Start from the close end of the step and work toward the far end. Ideally, a step is large enough to hold the whole sole of your boot and slopes slightly inward.

Quoting from a recent thread:

Cutting steps remained popular long after crampons were invented--even 12-point crampons. The first 12-point crampons were made by Laurent Grivel in 1929. They were used for the first ascent of the Eiger Nordwand. Yet, when in 1968 Flematti and Desmaison climbed the Linceul on the Grandes Jorasses, they still cut thousands of steps in the ice. When Messner wrote of his solo ascent of the North Face of the Droites in 1969, he felt the need to explain why he didn't cut steps. Incidentally, he carried an axe and a dagger, which was not unusual at the time. The late sixties and early seventies saw the development of "piolet traction" which required not only front points but two (short) tools. Only then the decline of the adze begun, some forty years after the invention of the 12-point crampons.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:04 pm

welle wrote:It's helpful technique even if you have crampons on - say you have to take a rest on a steep snow slope, or belaying...

What you're doing there is more chopping / digging out a stance rather than steps. Perfectly reasonable though.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 pm

While we're on the subject, what's the best way to repair my cagoule?

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:34 am

Perhaps we should move this thread to the sarcasm forum? :lol:

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:19 am

FortMental wrote:Image

A feucking scream. :D

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Sometimes people coming to SP Forums for the first time may like to ask a basic question just to break the ice, (sorry, no pun intended), and maybe see what sort of welcome they get.

Maybe that is not the case here, but how do we know that at present?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:14 pm

If you can get a hold of Norman Kingsley's great Book:
You will find a some illustrations along with a detailed description of doing so in Chapt. 3 on pages 37-41.

You will also find a good description with illustrations in Chapt 14 or the "ICE CLIMBING" Chapt of the this awesome book which can be found at any library or purchased at any Climbing Shop. Well worth the investment actually:

PS: Very valuable skill to know and master which can one day save your ass if the situ dictates.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training