Lightweight AT boots to climb in

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Snowslogger

Lightweight AT boots to climb in

by Snowslogger » Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Anybody have some suggestions for a lightweight AT boot. Don't want a big heavy one that skis great, more want a light one that won't wear me down on the approach for skinning up mtns. Also, something that feels OK for scrambling in would be good (ones I've rented have made me feel like Herman Munster). Also, fitting wide feet would be good. And yes, I did try searching the threads, and know that fit is everything.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat May 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey, hey.
Have you gone into some shops and tried some different ones on?
Best way to compare weight, fit, compatability with bindings, etc. imo.
If you haven't yet, I recommend going into the Mountain Shop on Ne. Broadway. Good, knowledgeable guys in there, with a good selection of boots.

I have a pair of Scarpas, (forget which ones; last time I was in the Mountain shop I saw a similar pair), that are very light.
Best o' luck.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Sat May 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I climb in my Scarpa Denali Boots. They have a great tread on the bottom, and a great walk mode. I just leave the top two buckles loose and they hike almost as good as my Sportiva Trangos do. I can't remember what they weigh, but they are way lighter than my tele boots or my Plastic Doubles (Koflach). As far as scrambling, you might be out of luck. They are ment to be ski boots not rock shoes, so all ski boots suck on rock somewhat. mainly because your ankle is locked into a certain position, even with the walk mech. open. Best to stay on the snow. Plus, step in crampons usually work very well with AT boots.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: Lightweight AT boots to climb in

by Dan Shorb » Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Snowslogger wrote:Anybody have some suggestions for a lightweight AT boot. Don't want a big heavy one that skis great, more want a light one that won't wear me down on the approach for skinning up mtns. Also, something that feels OK for scrambling in would be good (ones I've rented have made me feel like Herman Munster). Also, fitting wide feet would be good. And yes, I did try searching the threads, and know that fit is everything.

Dynafit Boots are great. Check them out, as I believe they are the lightest.

My boot is light!!

I use Scarpa F3's, especially since Dynafit bindings are so light and they work with both Frische and Dynafit. They have a walk mode, and great tread. They fit crampons easily. And there are probably enough used ones to get a good pair, slightly cheaper than new. I have also scrambled,ice climbed, and hiked in them comfortably and they work well as a great all around winter boot: e.g. I just did a 3 day trip with a 12 mile approach with about 4 miles of trail hiking, I then skinned, boot packed, and cramponed up, and felt great performance from the boot on the way up and while skiing down.

A key for me was also getting a foot bed done, which can cost up to $100, but is worth it i think.

I have a slightly narrow foot.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 am

Good stuff, keep it coming. Now if I could just find something that's cheap, or at least not lots of $$$. Mabe I'll run across something used.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 am

Snowslogger wrote:Good stuff, keep it coming. Now if I could just find something that's cheap, or at least not lots of $$$. Mabe I'll run across something used.

Since I see from your profile, you are in PDX. I would go and check the Bargain Basement at Next Adventure. I do see some AT boots from time to time on the massive used ski boot wall. Also, Check Ebay. I got my Scarpa's there for under $100!

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 am

And, the Mountain shop, ahem, also has a consignment/closeout shop where you might find something for a decent price.
I think my boots, btw, are Scarpa Spirit 3's. Not sure if they make them anymore, but those f3's are very similar.

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sun May 02, 2010 5:16 am

I have both Scarpa Denali TT and F3 boots. They're both great, but for obvious reasons the F3's are lighter and more comfortable to walk around in. They also excel in dynafit bindings when touring because of the bellows. IMO they ski like butt though, but if up is the primary importance, they rock. If I remember correctly, Scarpa is discontinuing the F3 but keeping the F1; so you may be able to find some deals. But the Terminator X is staying alive to my knowledge and is essentially the same but heavier.

Dynafit boots are also good, and a different fit than Scarpa.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Sun May 02, 2010 6:10 am

mtngeek wrote: They also excel when touring because of the bellows. IMO they ski like butt though, but if up is the primary importance, they rock.

Word.

I'd agree that they are more of an all around boot with which you sacrifice a bit of ski performance. A few of my friends that ski guide had the F3's and have now moved on to Dynafit. Several have also said that the BD boots could improve a bit before their worth buying.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:25 am

i just got the baron bindings and was thinking of getting the spirit 3s. anyone tried these boots?

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 pm

jonesa37 wrote:i just got the baron bindings and was thinking of getting the spirit 3s. anyone tried these boots?

I have the Spirit 3's(see above).
I've only really skied them once, but I liked them. Can't attest, yet, as to how they really perform, as a couple others have mentioned above. But, I thought they did pretty well the one time I used them.
Gotta get out there again. . .

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

yeah i am just anxious to get out, took full advantage of all the end of season ski deals and bought the BD kilowatts, hoping to get in some spring and summer ski mountaineering.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun May 02, 2010 7:46 pm

You're anxious to get out. . . I'm droolin' on my keyboard every time I look at the webcams on Mt. Hood. No, we're all ready, I think, to break for it whenever these late winter storms are done doing there thing. I should be up there today, but,. . . . domestic Sunday for me.

The "second season" should be long, what with these late season snowfalls. I'm anxious too, as I have an older(but like new) pair of K2's that have seen very limited use, especially by me. So, I'm ready. Soon, very soon. Enjoy.

Return to Gear