Are Squats Damaging to the Knee?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
JJBrunner

by JJBrunner » Wed May 12, 2010 8:17 pm

I think the best thing crossfit gives you is the can-do attitude. I used to do crossfit and when I did I didn't care if I got hurt, just if I got a good time. I know I had a decent chance of getting hurt. Did I get hurt? No. Right now I'm hiking up and down hills with at least 70lbs so that cant be much better for my knees than weighted squats, but my body can handle it right now. Based on the previous post with the link to backup his sources, it sounds like different ways of doing squats have different effects on different parts of the knee. In my opinion, it sounds like its hard to tell what will hurt the weak part of your knee. My advice, don't do anything that hurts. Happy Training.

Ze

by Ze » Wed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Ed F wrote:It sounds like most of those things would result in knee pain eventually from almost any physical activity. I stand by my claim that a normal person with no injuries and no biomechanical problems should be able to perform full squats with weight with no issues. I think squatting gets a bad name (along with deads) because there is so much potential to hurt yourself if your form is bad. Honestly, the few times I've done "sissy squats" (to 90 degrees), I've really felt it in my knees.

True. I don't really disagree. It's just hard to be definitive b/c everyone is different anatomically. In the OP's case, he's having some knee pain issues (albeit not from squats), so already that may change which loadings are beneficial / detrimental.

As to your point about knees hurting more when stopping at 90 degrees, I could see that happening too for a few reasons that I'd need to draw out to really make clear. But basically its possible the moment demand about the knee could be less in a deep squat than at 90 degrees.

There are all forms of leg squat/presses with varying techniques and freedom in movement. Squat w/ barbell are decent with freedom, but I think there are better. For instance, how about single leg squats while holding dumbells? This allows more opportunity for individuals to orientate themselves to ensure no one area is getting overly stressed.

If someone is concerned about knee issues, they should probably do leg exercises that allow them the most ability to redistribute load in a good way for them (and still with good form).

On the other end, hack squat machines might be the worst.

Ze

by Ze » Wed May 12, 2010 8:28 pm

JJBrunner wrote:In my opinion, it sounds like its hard to tell what will hurt the weak part of your knee. My advice, don't do anything that hurts. Happy Training.

agreed

bird

by bird » Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Ze wrote:On the other end, hack squat machines might be the worst.

Agreed

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu May 13, 2010 5:48 am

Day Hiker wrote:. . . parallel . . .

others wrote:. . . 90 degrees . . .

Just to make sure we have clarity, there is a definite difference between a 90-degree squat and one in which the thighs are parallel to the ground. A 90-degree squat is not a "complete" (powerlifting) squat.

Ze

by Ze » Thu May 13, 2010 6:14 pm

you're right. i was just referring to the 90 degree position since its apparently being used alot in these studies (and seems to be a point of high patellafemoral load)

Ze

by Ze » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

ok, this isn't anything comprehensive, but I found a nice image and wrote up something about how barbell position will affect load distribution.

psycobill

by psycobill » Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Ze wrote:ok, this isn't anything comprehensive, but I found a nice image and wrote up something about how barbell position will affect load distribution.

Hmm, really interesting. Wish they would explain how to apply it to downhill travel... in layman's terms that is

Ze

by Ze » Mon May 17, 2010 2:58 am

yeah I'd like to but will take some time, hiking is a dynamic movement and more complicated than squats. I will say that there are probably 2 major differences between uphill and downhill hiking: 1) Impact force going downhill will be higher than peak force going uphill and 2) the relative position of your lower leg and force direction may be greater in downhill than uphill (larger moment arm). So peak loading (joint and muscle forces) may be higher while going downhill because of larger force and moment arms.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training