Advice to a new climber

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
welle

by welle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:58 pm

mconnell,

You missed the entire thread! this guy is paying $1200 just to climb this peak. If that's the case what difference another few hundred bucks make in order to make things more bearable and ensure the success? and I recommended 10-point as they'd be more intuitive for walking.

If the guy totally hates mountaineering, buying a pair of boots, and then selling them right away would probably recover much of the cost and the money spent would equal or come close enough to boot rental fees for multiple days. Plus it would make things way more comfortable and pleasant. Crampons will be trashed though hehe, therefore I suggested getting used ones...

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed May 19, 2010 7:06 pm

ClimberJoe wrote:This website just gets worse and worse... LMFAO this morning at this thread.

Do you really think the eagle scout comedian is going to listen to any of your advice? I'm sure he's far to busy polishing his flint at this point.

It's all in one's delivery, based on your's? No he's not listening..........................to you. :)

welle

by welle » Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 pm

ClimberJoe wrote:Studmuffin could you translate that last post for me? Sorry I don't really speak interwebese and your last post looks to me like the garbled screaming from a toddler with a mouth full of mushed peas. Were you trying to make fun of me? If so you could do a much better job. Try harder next time. You'll get it.

ROTFLMAO! "Interwebese" - I'm sorry, troll-haters, but this is funny as hell.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm

ClimberJoe wrote:Studmuffin could you translate that last post for me? Sorry I don't really speak interwebese and your last post looks to me like the garbled screaming from a toddler with a mouth full of mushed peas. Were you trying to make fun of me? If so you could do a much better job. Try harder next time. You'll get it.

Lame come back, if your going to argue, make it worth reading, not a stereotypical Cliché comeback we have all heard a million times.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:43 pm

welle wrote:...If the guy totally hates mountaineering, buying a pair of boots, and then selling them right away would probably recover much of the cost and the money spent would equal or come close enough to boot rental fees for multiple days. Plus it would make things way more comfortable and pleasant.

Valid point- by the time you pay to rent 4 days. Maybe CA's next governor could sell 'em for you, right Neophiteat48?

Shame this troll isn't Toxo... Liven this place up a bit.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
welle wrote:...If the guy totally hates mountaineering, buying a pair of boots, and then selling them right away would probably recover much of the cost and the money spent would equal or come close enough to boot rental fees for multiple days. Plus it would make things way more comfortable and pleasant.

Valid point- by the time you pay to rent 4 days. Maybe CA's next governor could sell 'em for you, right Neophiteat48?

Shame this troll isn't Toxo... Liven this place up a bit.

You mean Governor Poizner!

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed May 19, 2010 8:21 pm

welle wrote:mconnell,

You missed the entire thread! this guy is paying $1200 just to climb this peak. If that's the case what difference another few hundred bucks make in order to make things more bearable and ensure the success? and I recommended 10-point as they'd be more intuitive for walking.

If the guy totally hates mountaineering, buying a pair of boots, and then selling them right away would probably recover much of the cost and the money spent would equal or come close enough to boot rental fees for multiple days. Plus it would make things way more comfortable and pleasant. Crampons will be trashed though hehe, therefore I suggested getting used ones...

Just 'cuz he has $1200 isn't a reason to blow a few hundred more. Guess I agree with you about the boots. Still wouldn't recommend 10-pt crampons to anyone. IMHO, it's like recommending hobnail boots (which are also more intuitive for walking).

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu May 20, 2010 3:41 am

MikeTX wrote:he could always buy used gear. i got boots, crampons and ice axe all for less than $300 right here on SP from another member. the boots look like hell, but they work for me just fine.

when i went guided up hood, the double plastics really bothered my shins. i love my used leather boots.

I hear yea, I rented double plastics for Hood, and my shines were reminding me for days after.

mountainzguy

by mountainzguy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 am

So, about the rental vs. buying debate...

RMI, as of this year, rent both plastic AND leather (Mammut Mamook) mountaineering boots. Depending on the feel, it may not help you, but there is more of a choice now if you go for renting.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri May 21, 2010 3:06 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
Hotoven wrote:
MikeTX wrote:he could always buy used gear. i got boots, crampons and ice axe all for less than $300 right here on SP from another member. the boots look like hell, but they work for me just fine.

when i went guided up hood, the double plastics really bothered my shins. i love my used leather boots.

I hear yea, I rented double plastics for Hood, and my shines were reminding me for days after.

Don't lace too tight..unless you will be ice climbing or need your boots to really perform on some technical climb..people usually get shin bang when they tighten too much

Try that with these chepo plastics...

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri May 21, 2010 4:36 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:I got mine (Scarpa Invernos)

That explains why you have to lace them loose to keep from hurting your shins.

Buckaroo

Re: Advice to a new climber

by Buckaroo » Mon May 24, 2010 4:37 am

marcminish wrote:He has no interest in rock climbing, just mountaineering.

hope he's not planning on climbing any mountains with rock on them then

I said the same thing when first starting out, until I climbed a 6 pitch wall then I was hooked on exposure.

agree though, Rainier is not a good first mountain

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Mon May 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Hi, Marc!

Where you been, you misguided lackey of the capitalist system? (Oops! We're not allowed to banter here anymore, I forgot! My bad.)

A guided trip on Rainier will be a load of fun for your buddy. Even if it doesn't work out that mountaineering is for him, it'll be an experience he'll never forget. He'll learn a lot, too.

Pay no attention to the nattering nabobs of negativism. Tell him to go for it.

Gary

I agree, my wife's first real climb was a guided climb of the Allalinhorn (13368 ft/ 4027 m, 4000 ft./ 1200 m up from the hut) in perfect weather, and she enjoyed it immensely. Although an easy glacier climb, it had all the trappings, yawning crevasses, seracs, even an ice avalanche seen from afar, and a girl in a preceding team dropping down a crevasse to be immediately hauled up again by her guide, none the worse for the experience, a narrow firn ridge close to the summit. Finally seeing all the major peaks of the western Alps from the top put the dot on the i.

I think a guided trip is the best way to start. A guide is guaranteed to get you down alive, and will not take you on any peak that in his judgment you cannot handle. Still, the physical exertion and the splendour of the mountains is about the same, and the beginner will be able to judge whether this is really something for her/him.

PreviousNext

Return to General