Debris covered glacier

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Diggler

by Diggler » Fri May 28, 2010 12:12 am

BrunoM wrote:Some glaciers that I know in the Ecrins, most of the times it's the lower part/runout that's covered in rocks.

If you're talking about the moraine, bring a helmet as you cross. A partner of mine literally flew from an unstable boulder that was tipped. There is a really good chance he might have died without a helmet, as he smacked his head full force on another rock upon landing. Moraines at glaciers' bases are frequently a bunch of loose, unstable, unbalanced rocks just waiting to find equilibrium (read: shift, as soon as you release it).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri May 28, 2010 12:28 am

Diggler wrote: A partner of mine literally flew from an unstable boulder that was tipped.

The ability to fly is a plus in such terrain.

Lolli

by Lolli » Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Diggler wrote: A partner of mine literally flew from an unstable boulder that was tipped.

The ability to fly is a plus in such terrain.

:lol:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:27 am

Reminds me of the Carbon Glacier on Mt Rainier. Completely covered with rock. I hiked to the base of it years ago, a great hike through lush forest, but didn't go on it. At the snout we sat and watched, every minute or two another large rock would tumble off the end as it melted away.

Previous

Return to General