Salt Lake Area: Best First Peak for a 9 year old?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Kai

Salt Lake Area: Best First Peak for a 9 year old?

by Kai » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:04 am

I want to give my 9 year old a fun climbing experience.

I'd like to climb with him to the top of a peak.

The ideal climb would have the following characteristics

Relatively short approach and climb. Something I could do with a child in 3-4 hours.
Some scrambling over both rock and snow.
Technically easy, but just difficult that I could justify roping up so he feels like it's serious.
Close to Salt Lake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kai

TacoJockey

by TacoJockey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 am

Sugarloaf might be a good one. The trailhead is at Alta, so it's close to SLC and only 2000' of elevation gain. No scrambling per se, but a lot of talus hopping near the top. There was still a lot of snow when I was up there a month ago though and I imagine that's still the case as the approach is north facing. Might be a good peak to keep in mind later in the summer.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/152890/sugarloaf-peak.html

nebben

by nebben » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:18 am

Mt. Olympus is pretty fun, but it is kind of a butt kicker for a 9 year old, and it will likely take 4-5 hours.

But as far as "roping off" to feel more serious, it definitely could qualify for that near the top...or chose non-roped and still have a fun time on the final scramble.

builttospill

by builttospill » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:06 am

Maybe Devil's Castle? It is class 4, so a rope would be useful for a 9 year old I would think. He would probably want to rappel or be lowered down stuff on the way down too.

It's near Alta also, which means it's close to SLC and has little elevation gain (I think like 1500 vertical if I recall correctly, but it's been awhile). Can definitely be done in 2-3 hours depending on hiking speed.

Snow will depend on the time of year.....right now its very snowy up there still. I think by the beginning of August it will be snow-free.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Sunset Peak. The Brighton route is more scenic, the Alta route shorter.

If it isn't enough scrambling, continue past Sunset over Pioneer and to the north. You can go all the way over Clayton Peak if you have the energy.

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Mt. Wire
Sunset
Sugarloaf
Mt. Raymond or gobblers Knob
Grandeur
Millicent
Wolverine

Would all be good ones that you could do with a 9 year old in 3-4 hours. You have the whole summer, so do them all.

I guess you could rope up over the small scramble on Raymond. Little Black Mountain would also be a good one if you want to put a rope on him over the scramble.

ropes are not really needed on any of these though.

remmiw

Gilbert Peak

by remmiw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 am

I hiked Thurston Peak last summer with my 9 year old daughter. We parked by the 'golf balls' (radar towers) and it was just over 8 miles but pretty easy. Some up, some down. No water at all along the way.
Last edited by remmiw on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirtDavis

Re: Gilbert Peak

by KirtDavis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 am

remmiw wrote:I hiked Gilbert Peak last summer with my 9 year old daughter. We parked by the 'golf balls' (radar towers) and it was just over 8 miles but pretty easy. Some up, some down. No water at all along the way.

You mean Thurston Peak???

Anyway, you could hike to American Fork Twin Peaks...

The trailhead is at Snow Bird, take the tram up to Hidden Peak, walk the ridgeline to the Twin Peaks... A three for one deal. There is some scrambling, and some exposure, but if taken slow, all should be well.

Return to Utah