places of interest on the modoc plateau?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoabPeakBagger

places of interest on the modoc plateau?

by MoabPeakBagger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm finally heading to California's Northeast corner next week... primarily to backpack a few days in the Warner Mtns, but I'm hoping to check out other things in the area- anyone ever explored up there and have some recommendations of places to check out?

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:44 pm

In August 2002 I did some wandering around up there in the Medicine Lake Highlands. Checked out the obsidian and dacite in the Glass Mountain area.

Some more info here. It was pretty cool :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 pm

There are ice caves scattered about the area- do a quick online search. Very worthwhile visiting on a hot day.

Lava Beds is fantastic to explore.

MoabPeakBagger

by MoabPeakBagger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:34 am

damn, Medicine Lake Highlands area is still off limits due to snow- I was really hoping to get up that way! Bummer.

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 am

It may be too early in the season, but, if you're interested in this area, don't forget to jump the border to Hart Mt Antelope Refuge, the Warner Wetlands, &, if you still have the yen to keep on going, to Steens Mt. SE Oregon is astonishing & underpopulated -- & threatened. Check out ONDA (Oregon Natural Desert Association) for proposed development in the Steens. Get to Wildhorse Lake & Geiger Canyon before they become suburbia. Where are you backpacking in the Warners? Don't miss Patterson Lake.

rice

by rice » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I REALLY LIKE THIS AREA. MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE BEEN TO CAVE LAKE IN THE WARNERS AND IF SO WHAT KIND OF CAVE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THERE? CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY INFO ABOUT THIS SPOT EXCEPT FOR FISHING AND THE CAMP GROUND.

danmerrick

by danmerrick » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Go to Cedarville, I graduated from high school there - SVHS '75. Say hi to them for me.

I've always wanted to climb Eagle Peak from the valley floor near Eagleville. Sort of like a mini eastside of the sierra. Like the Sierra, the west side has more gradual slopes, wetter and more trees. Eastside is dry and steep. Some hot springs around, Squaw Baths are just south of Eagleville. I haven't been there but have wondered if there might be rock climbing at Sheep Rock 41.524, -120.332

Return to California