GPS for a dog?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
jibmaster

by jibmaster » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Funny story about Scratch, the Beagle.

I was at Hull one time, and was about to start skinning up the mountain. I was down near 4000'. About 3 hours from the summit. As I'm loading up my pack, this large beagle comes wandering up. Very friendly. Looked tired. Wanted food.
He had on multiple collars. One with an antenna. I made the mistake of feeding him a bit of my sandwich. Oops! Now I had a new best friend! The dog would not leave me alone.
He actually followed my all the way to the summit and hung out on the ridge as I skied several runs. I felt bad for the poor dog, so I kept him fed up on the mountain. He looked very tired.
But he had enough strength to run after me all the way down the mountain back to the Jeep.

As soon as I opened the back door, he hopped in and wouldn't budge. He was exhausted. He fell asleep almost instantly.
He had followed me for 10 miles - all day.
:shock:

So I figured I would take him down to the Soda Creek Store where I was going to call the number on his tag.
As I'm driving past the lake, this pickup truck comes driving up behind me and starts flashing his lights. It's Scratch's owner. This dude had been hunting up on the mountain the day before and lost one of his dogs - Scratch. He had several more in the back of the truck.
He said that the dog must have wandered past the radio collar range.

As he was kicking back at the lake that afternoon, he said he saw his dog on his monitor hauling a$$ down the road at about 45 mph! So he hopped in his truck and gave chase, which led him to me driving down the road.

:lol:

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:33 am

Brad Marshall wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Think what a dictatorship might do with this (for humans). Know where everybody is all the time!

But of course at least North Korea is probably too poor to afford it!

Not only dictatorships. I believe many US citizens worry about their own government keeping tabs on them and they have the money. Personally, I couldn't give a shit because I'm just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, still many of those people are carrying cell phones. If you have a cell phone, the government can find you at any time. I'm with Brad. I don't care if someone wants to know where I am.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:38 am

I get nervous when they ask what I'm wearing right now.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 am

I get "concerned" when they follow me into the restroom.

Big brother won't quit "dogging" me ...

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 am

But, sometimes it's best to let .. sleeping dogs lie.

:shock:

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 pm

:D

This was a beagle.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm

tigerlilly wrote::D

This was a beagle.

That explains a lot. Stupidest damn dogs. I love ours, but as soon as her nose picks up a scent, her brain shuts off. She was once tracking deer around our yard. The deer had been wandering in circles, eating. When I finally caught the stupid dog and got a leash on her, I noticed that the deer she was tracking was standing about 10 yards away. If she would have looked up instead of just following the scent, she would have found it. (I don't know what the hell she would have done once she found it!)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:39 pm

tigerlilly wrote::D

This was a beagle.

What is it now? Did it grow out of the beagle stage?

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:21 pm

:D :D :D

It is my neighbor's dog. Don't tell my neighbor... pretty please.

Previous

Return to General