How to post a graph/chart?

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
dskoon

How to post a graph/chart?

by dskoon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey guys, got a question for ya.
How do I post a chart showing something?
Here is the link that I am trying to post from. I want the graph/chart, showing the youngest circumnavigators, but when I do the copy/paste, it copies it in a different format, and without the lines on the chart. I've seen plenty of other graphs, etc. that people have posted, so I know there's a way. . .
Thanks.
The link.
The chart is down the page a ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Lee_Graham

In other words, when I try and copy and paste, it copies it in a little different format, without the chart.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't see a graph or chart in the link that you provided. If you are trying to create a Table, you need to use HTML tags. See Section 5.2 of the FAQs for an example.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Ok, click on the link, scroll down, and yes, it's probably more correctly called a table.
Now, how to post it?

That 5.2 link looks like Greek to me. . . Sorry, but can you talk me through it. My son isn't here, and I miss his computer savviness.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Two approaches...

You can right click on the webpage, and select 'view source'. This will open a txt file with all the code, and you can dig through and copy what you want. Search for some words in the table will help you find it.

Another way would be to take a screenshot, and post it as a picture. The first way is certainly better, but a little more work.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:12 pm

There is no away of getting around it. If you want to create a Table, you need to use HTML tags. Here is simple example. Try copying and pasting this into the page that you are trying to create.

In the first 2 lines and the last line, you need to replace T with TABLE. (The HTML tag doesn't show up properly in the message forum if I spell out the word TABLE.)

<T>

<T border="1" cellspacing="1">

<tr> <td> Climber's Name </td> <td> Climber's Age </td> <td> Mountain </tr>

<tr> <td> Bob Smith </td> <td> 18 </td> <td> Mt Whitney> </tr>

</T>

The first line creates the table.
The second line is for formatting the table.
The third line creates the first ROW of the table.
The fourth line creates the next ROW in the table. (Repeat this line for each ROW that yu need to add.)
The last line ends the table.

<tr> begins a new ROW. </tr> ends the ROW.
<td> begins a new CELL. </td ends the CELL.

If you can't figure this out with the instructions above, then you'll probably need help from someone in person.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Alpinist wrote:There is no away of getting around it. If you want to create a Table, you need to use HTML tags. Here is simple example. Try copying and pasting this into the page that you are trying to create.

In the first 2 lines and the last line, you need to replace T with TABLE. (The HTML tag doesn't show up properly in the message forum if I spell out the word TABLE.)

<T>

<T border="1" cellspacing="1">

<tr> <td> Climber's Name </td> <td> Climber's Age </td> <td> Mountain </tr>

<tr> <td> Bob Smith </td> <td> 18 </td> <td> Mt Whitney> </tr>

</T>

The first line creates the table.
The second line is for formatting the table.
The third line creates the first ROW of the table.
The fourth line creates the next ROW in the table. (Repeat this line for each ROW that yu need to add.)
The last line ends the table.

<tr> begins a new ROW. </tr> ends the ROW.
<td> begins a new CELL. </td ends the CELL.

If you can't figure this out with the instructions above, then you'll probably need help from someone in person.

Ok, I'll give it a try. :lol:

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:48 pm

I've had awkward tables etc to post online a good few times, (including detailed spreadsheets).

I copy them, then paste into an image I don't want, then crop back to the table/spreadsheet. Then save as a jpeg.

Has always worked wonders for me.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Two approaches...

You can right click on the webpage, and select 'view source'. This will open a txt file with all the code, and you can dig through and copy what you want. Search for some words in the table will help you find it.

Another way would be to take a screenshot, and post it as a picture. The first way is certainly better, but a little more work.

Took the words outta my mouth.

I think the screenshot will be simplest. If on a PC, maximize the window, center the table in the page, and press the PrtScr button; the image is now in the paste buffer. Now go to a app like MS Paint or one of the newer image editor that come with windows, and paste (Ctrl V will usually do it). Crop the edges off the image and save it to your desktop or wherever.

Return to Page Help