Tioga Pass Resort

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bchains

Tioga Pass Resort

by bchains » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:26 am

Can anyone advise how to get a room here? Apparently they have no phone (except a sat) and they don't respond to email. Their website looks like it was last updated in 2006. Are they still alive? Ideally I'd like to get a shower after several days of climbing in the valley on the way up to Dana Couloir but want to 1) stay high, and 2) not have to drive to Lee Vining.

Thanks!

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 am

For the down low, head over to supertopo and get in touch with hossjulia.

The power went down on the Tioga Road over the winter. On June 3 she wrote:
"Tpr won't open for at least 3 weeks. If no power by July 1, may not open at all."

I think the power is back up at T-Meadows so TPR may have power now as well. It takes them a couple of weeks to get set up.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:56 am

What do you need a room for here?

Lee Vining is just fifteen minutes down 120 below TPR and far cheaper.

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 am

Aw, man, I was just answering the question. And I like hossjulia. Not that I could ever afford to stay there, but that hut is real cool, bending like a bow.

Why do you need a shower? Hah! - I would have asked that. And it's easy to steal one of those.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:43 pm

With the exception of their pies, the bang-for-the-buck factor is one of the lowest on the entire east side.

MTN Trader

by MTN Trader » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:44 am

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:With the exception of their pies, the bang-for-the-buck factor is one of the lowest on the entire east side.

Except for the fact that you are in repose at nearly 10,000 feet, which is great for the acclimitization at night.

And as far as "bang for the buck" goes, TPR isn't a charity. I have too many sentimental attachments to the place, especially the older cabins, to object. Lee Vining may have other, cheaper, rooms for the evening, but I don't think there's much comparison.

Julia and her team have always done a tremendous job of making me and my family feel welcome. I hadn't heard that they were having a tough time getting set up this season, but I hope they can open soon.

Maybe the downtime will give them an opportunity to modernize the website.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:08 pm

It simply amazes me how so many city folk bust their ass 50 weeks outta the year and then come to the mountains for the other 2 weeks. Then, they look for a location where other humans are congregated in one building plus they need to take a shower.

Don't forget that DROID now. Gotta have the constant connection to all them business contacts and people back in the city.

Folks call it a vacation I believe....

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:44 pm

I've stayed and stopped at Tioga Pass Resort numerous times over the years,including Winter , and always enjoyed the food and people . If it is not worth paying the extra costs of supporting a place in such a great location ,what is ? Everyone who has been to Europe and Asia has wondered why we did not also have high country lodges for year around access . Everytime I stayed at TPR in the Winter there were people using it as a base for multi-day trips and it was well worth it .

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Palisades79 wrote: Everytime I stayed at TPR in the Winter there were people using it as a base for multi-day trips and it was well worth it .

TPR gave up their Special USFS Winter Access Permit three years ago.

Reason, not enough revenue to support the Winter Operational cost.

bchains

by bchains » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks to all for the updates and contact info.

To the Chief, buzz off.. you contributed nothing to this discussion and made an ass of yourself once again on SP. Live and let live.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 am

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Ass... someone called me an ass? That hurt. Please be safe on your annual 2 week trip. The CHP Helo has been very busy lately with ill equipped/knowledgeable newbies. Don't forget your DROID and SAT Phone either.

Ellery Lake, Tioga Lake, Saddle Bag Lake, Lee Vining Creek etc make for excellent free showers btw.
Last edited by The Chief on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Best chow, pies and high altitude accommodations on the Eastside, bar none, are located here. Their website is current and daily operation is up and fully running

And Dingus, if you eat all this in one shot, "Roast beef, mash taters, a nice cold beer, and then a nice slice of blueberry pie witha dollop of ice cream, washed down with a couple of cups of really solid joe," one would definitely need a shower after that consumption operation.

The local Ass!
Last edited by The Chief on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

All the Eastside locals know that the RCLR Pies are far better and half the price of those found at the TPR .

Made by locals for the Locals and not the Tourist Buses passing through 120.

The Local Ass.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 pm

MTN Trader wrote:
Tanngrisnir3 wrote:With the exception of their pies, the bang-for-the-buck factor is one of the lowest on the entire east side.

Except for the fact that you are in repose at nearly 10,000 feet, which is great for the acclimitization at night.

And as far as "bang for the buck" goes, TPR isn't a charity. I have too many sentimental attachments to the place, especially the older cabins, to object. Lee Vining may have other, cheaper, rooms for the evening, but I don't think there's much comparison.

Julia and her team have always done a tremendous job of making me and my family feel welcome. I hadn't heard that they were having a tough time getting set up this season, but I hope they can open soon.

Maybe the downtime will give them an opportunity to modernize the website.

I, too, have great memories of coming out of the backcountry for days with my father and eating the meat loaf (not on the menu anymore, I think) and the pie, and I never presumed that they were a charity.

I just have a very different sense of the worth of things now that I'm in my early 40s, my father doesn't backpack/climb anymore and I've seen the other options available.

Next

Return to California