Anyone climbed Mount Bryce's NE Ridge?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Kai

Anyone climbed Mount Bryce's NE Ridge?

by Kai » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:54 am

Anyone climbed Mount Bryce in the Canadian Rockies?

What time of year would be best for a climb via the NE Ridge?

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 pm

August is best bet. Note slow melt this year so far so may not get good conditions this year.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Bill Kerr wrote:August is best bet. Note slow melt this year so far so may not get good conditions this year.

The infamous weather charm has yet to arrive Bill. I take it you will be ready to get out for a day or two eh?

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Dow - Your ability to charm the weather may be tested a lot this summer. Lots of rain(snow up high) this May /June is making for a slow start and the wet mountains create an afternoon thunderstorm cycle. This may be the year to do all the North face snow/ice routes or else stick to the lower rock routes.

Yes - I will be available for a scramble/climb or two.

Bill

James_W

by James_W » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:33 am

Bill Kerr wrote:Dow - Your ability to charm the weather may be tested a lot this summer. Lots of rain(snow up high) this May /June is making for a slow start and the wet mountains create an afternoon thunderstorm cycle. This may be the year to do all the North face snow/ice routes or else stick to the lower rock routes.

Yes - I will be available for a scramble/climb or two.

Bill

I was just scoping things out from Canmore to Rogers Pass, come on snow melt! I was surprised to see the campgrounds in Glacier National Park still closed.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm

The warm and sunny weather finally arrives :D
and of course it correlates to Dow arriving this week.
Lots of water running now and everything is sliding off so need to be careful for a while.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Bill Kerr wrote:The warm and sunny weather finally arrives :D
Lots of water running now and everything is sliding off so need to be careful for a while.

finally, Bill admits what he has known all along deep down (even though he held back my powers last year)....now if I can just Harden up JW, most of my Canadian Rockies goals will have been accomplished before I even arrive!

James_W

by James_W » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Dow Williams wrote:

finally, Bill admits what he has known all along deep down (even though he held back my powers last year)....now if I can just Harden up JW, most of my Canadian Rockies goals will have been accomplished before I even arrive!

Have you been up the east ridge of Mt. Edith Cavell? I know it is only 5.3 but looks great! I think Revelstoke is going to harden me up pretty fast.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:04 pm

East ridge on Cavell should be on everyone's list. Some great stuff that is nearer to you at Rogers pass area - Sir Donald, Tupper, etc.

Haha - we all need to harden up but Dow's comment on hardening up JW was probably directed at Jason W and not at you :D

James_W

by James_W » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Bill Kerr wrote:East ridge on Cavell should be on everyone's list. Some great stuff that is nearer to you at Rogers pass area - Sir Donald, Tupper, etc.

Haha - we all need to harden up but Dow's comment on hardening up JW was probably directed at Jason W and not at you :D

The even better stuff in the Selkirks require days of travel of a helicopter. Doh! on the JW thing.

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Yes August is a good bet, or as soon the sharp snowy main summit ridge is solid enough to climb across - early season this can be mushy, steeper sides and more corniced than Mt Victoria south summit ridge.
Approach is the crux - consult bivouac.com for good details on this.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Hey, just now saw your post, no I have not. But it is in condition as of now. Barry just went up the North Face this week. I might try and get that done next week, one of the 50 North American classics. I was on the summit of Mount Forbes (highest peak in Alberta and beautiful remote back country) yesterday morning at 9:30am via its north face route. Most everything is in good shape right now for sure. Good luck James.

James_W wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:

Have you been up the east ridge of Mt. Edith Cavell? I know it is only 5.3 but looks great! I think Revelstoke is going to harden me up pretty fast.

Return to Canada and Alaska