Rae Lakes in July

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
puffer

by puffer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Headed up there tomorrow whatever the case will be. Will report back sometime next week.

Thanks all!

Aaron

puffer

by puffer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Hey all, just got back from Rae Lakes. Weather was warm and pretty much perfect all around, not a cloud in the sky for the entire trip. Started Thursday morning and finished yesterday evening (3 days, 2 nights). A little faster than I originally planned but I was hiking solo and just kept walking, awestruck by the scenery.

Only 2 other campers at Rae Lakes, was quiet and serene up there. Nights were pretty warm too. The creeks were roaring all along the way, a couple of wet stream crossings were necessary, only one that was a little precarious, a few miles down from the lakes. There were a few mosquito's at the lakes but overall it was quite tolerable. Thankfully, never needed to break out the bug netting. Saw a few marmots but no bears.

Glen Pass was still mostly covered in snow, but it was pretty easy hiking up and over. I managed just fine with trekking poles, didn't need an axe or crampons. Trail was easy to see, just followed the footprints. Passed a half dozen or so PCT'rs along the way, they all seemed pretty hungry.

Definitely spring/summer weather up there now, a few more weeks and I imagine the snow will be mostly gone.

All in all, couldn't have asked for a better trip. Think I picked a great time to go as there were really not many people up there at all. For myself, it was definitely the most spectacular landscape I've walked through this side of the Grand Canyon.

Aaron

Previous

Return to California