Mt. Adams Questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:32 pm

I havent decided if Im gonna bring all my water or melt snow at lunch counter.

1)how much water should I bring for the whole 2day trip?

2)how cold is it gonna get during the overnight at lunch counter, we will arrive at lunch counter this Saturday (It looks like 80's in glenwood, WA)

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:25 am

1) Lots of water. Too much to carry. Staying hydrated is extremely important to success, and to enjoying yourself, so don't limit your water supply. Bring a stove, drink lots before leaving, and bring plenty (2 quarts, maybe more, or 1+stove) to the summit. I drink at least 16oz/hour when climbing hard, more at altitude, more when it's hot/sunny.

Bombchaser

by Bombchaser » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:59 am

I recommend melting snow. I braught one Nalgene bottle full and one empty. I melted snow along the way to cut down on wieght. Definently need to stay well hydrated on this one! Make sure you have your light weight stove, fuel and fire starter.

If you go to NOAA, and go to the weather map you can do a pin point forecast generated by computer for the exact spot you need to know about. I would you multipe sources for weather before any major ascent such as this one.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:43 am

Bombchaser wrote:I recommend melting snow. I braught one Nalgene bottle full and one empty. I melted snow along the way to cut down on wieght. Definently need to stay well hydrated on this one!

So you put snow in one of ur nalgene bottles, and it melted while u were hiking? Did you add anything like tablets to the melted snow?

billisfree

by billisfree » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:36 pm

You CAN add water to your bottle and allow it to melt with the warmer water already there.

From my experience - that works only the first time I add snow. After
that, the snow just doesn't melt fast enough.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm

billisfree wrote:You CAN add water to your bottle and allow it to melt with the warmer water already there.

From my experience - that works only the first time I add snow. After
that, the snow just doesn't melt fast enough.

Thanks, but are people adding water tablets or just drinking the melted snow straight?

BTW: checked the forecast for Mt.Adams...it looks goregeous, start climbing with temps in the very low 70's, lunch counter in the 60's, overnights in the upper 40's

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:08 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I did make the summit, but it was super hard, the hardest thing physically and mentally Ive ever done. I had a ton of fun coming down, almost the whole way was one giant glissade even below lunch counter.

Heres a summit pic, Im the crazy one bravin the cold.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 am

glad it helped...the biggest thing is was staying hydrated as everyone stated...For the whole 2 day trip I went through over 8 liters of water. I took 3liters up to lunch counter and was out by the time i got their, which put me 1.5 liter short of being hydrated. Of course it was very sunny and hot. Melting water was HUGE, I spent about an hour melting at lunch counter and was always adding snow to my bladder and bottle. Another thing that was crucial was bringing things your body is gonna want to eat. I had zero appetite at lunch counter and beyond, and had to force myself to eat a few bites of breakfast. The chex and trail mix I thought would be good was hard to eat, but my friend brought summer sausage and it was heavenly.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Regarding water: I chugged a quart at the car, drank another three enroute to camp at 9300', and another one that night. Next day I drank a quart before setting off, and three more before getting back to the car. There was little running water, and it was not easy to get. Stoves are the way to go.

Conditions are good right now. Summit by about 9am and you will have nice hard cramponing snow, wait a few hours and it's a slushy slog. Skiing looks excellent, although I didn't have planks.

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Well, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hmmm... I don't know about others, but I can't climb AND digest food at same time. Just not enough blood to do both.

So, it might be smart to eat the night before and hope your got enough energy in your system by morning.

Very light snacks during climb is best.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 am

@autoxfil: yeah we made the summit at 10:30am and headed for the summit at 650am (at least I did). I think that was perfect for me, coming doown was sooooo much FUN, once you got over the numbness in your butt, the snow was perfect for glissading. When we got back to lunch counter round 11:30 the snow was super slushy and people were still heading up, I was in shock. On that same note, there were people that headed for the summit at 330am which i think would leave snow to hard coming down.

@billisfree: Thanks! wow you cant eat before you climb? man that really must suck to only be able to eat the night before.

BTW: I did leave my crampons at the car and was very happy i did. It all depends on what time you want to summit i guess.

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)