laurel mtn conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
WML

laurel mtn conditions?

by WML » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 am

hey all, headed down to the area tomorrow morning to potentially climb the NE Gully/Mendenhall Couloir. Is it good to go or hold off a few more weeks?

Thanks!

W

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:31 am

It is absolutely void of any snow if that is what you are after.

But don't take my word for it. I just look at it every day!

WML

by WML » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks, Chief! Greatly appreciated. Any word on the approach to Bear Creek Spire's NE Ridge as well? Us city folk appreciate your East Side local info for sure....

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 am

WML wrote:Thanks, Chief! Greatly appreciated. Any word on the approach to Bear Creek Spire's NE Ridge as well? Us city folk appreciate your East Side local info for sure....

Sorry... can't answer that one as I have been busy down in Pine Creek climbing and in town wrenching on bikes.

But I can imagine that the snow is dissipating quickly as each day passes.

Have fun and be safe.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Just came back from town and drove up to Convict so here is the straight as I type skinny.....

There is a single 60 X 40 or so foot avoidable patch about half way up along with some small very avoidable patches towards the very top.

I didn't have my camera with me so sorry about not posting any photos. You should be fine.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:27 pm

The Chief wrote:... in town wrenching on bikes.

Motorcycle or bicycle? Used to be a moto wrench myself (all major brands, incl. Harley), and also do all my own bicycle work.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Mtn and Rd Bikes.

WML

by WML » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:28 am

Got back to Reno a little while ago.

Those top patches are easy to avoid for sure, the middle one and the one at the base are slightly moreso, and put you into (surprise surprise) rubble climbing mode.

Also, the descent route recommended by Croft's book is completely covered in snow. Alternative means are pretty obvious from there.

Will post pictures later, kinda tired now, must search for camera later haha

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:03 am

My apologies for not being more specific earlier about the middle snow patch. But the crux was indeed clear and your adventure would not at all been one now would it.

As far as the descent, we always go west somewhat from the summit then return back north east across the mid flat NE ridge and on down to the resort P/L. Croft's descent route, even when snow free, can be a tad bit loose and shakey.

Glad to hear ya had fun.

Return to California