What Is The Essential Beginners Rock Climbing Gear?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
granjero

by granjero » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Yup, finding a mentor will hands down be the best investment in your climbing career. That, and learning to utilize the best piece of equipment you already have, your brain. "Climbing is a mental game" (WHOOPS, looks like I quoted a book Jah forbid!). Keep a beginner's mind and a sponge-like attitude towards everything. Constantly evaluate every situation to maximize learning...Why did that work? Why did that fail?
Visualize. Emulate. The best mentors will facilitate this by generating the safest possible environment to allow you to extend your mental, physical, and technical skills out of the comfort zone and into the realm where learning can take place.

Hear and Forget
See and Remember
Do and Understand

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm kind of wondering what you were taught in your class because your question is so open ended. You didn't take a gym class did you? Maybe you've just chosen not to bore with all the things you were considering and just asked a very open, broad question.

If you want to get some additional info, another class, one that builds on what you learned in your first class will be really helpful. What you could learn in a single weekend could be far more valuable (and safer) than months of puttering around on your own. Perhaps at that point you'll have a good idea of where to start.

showlett

by showlett » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 pm

[quote="fatdad"]I'm kind of wondering what you were taught in your class because your question is so open ended. You didn't take a gym class did you?

It was a 2-day class on setting anchors. It was very intensive but also a lot to absorb, remember, and be able to utilize effectively. I will be going out for another weekend class in two weeks, but in the mean time want to get some more practice in.

The instructor brought all the gear, so I just need to figure out what I need to go out and do this on my own. He had cams, tri-cams, hexes, wedges, nuts, and all types of webbing, cordalettes, etc. I just have to process it all in my mind to figure out what I need.

bubbles

by bubbles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:59 am

If you are just starting out leading, then I would suggest just buying some quickdraws and leading on bolted routes. And for top roping, just have some 7mm accessory cord, a couple of beaners, and a rope. But like everyone else said, get some instruction on how to set up anchors.

showlett

by showlett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:23 am

In his book "How To Rock Climb," John Long breaks down the gear and answers the questions I had.

He said if you are climbing with someone with ropes and a rack, this is what you need:
*Harness
*Locking carabiner
*Belay/rappel device
*(4) Oval carabiners
*Gear sling
*Chalk bag

And if you want to top rope, the following foundation rack will get you started:
*Rope
*(7) Carabiners
*(2) Locing carabiners
*(5) Taper nuts
*(5) Hexentrics
*Nut extraction tool with keeper sling
*(6) Shoulder-length sewn slings
*Extra webbing (20 feet)
*Local guidebook

no avatar
JJBrunner

by JJBrunner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 am

Hyadventure wrote:Resist the temptation to buy gear for a while. The longer you wait the better choices you’ll make.

Great advice! Unfortunately I could never resist temptation, but it all worked out in the end fortunately!

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:51 am

The gear you "need" is different depending on who you ask. In some climbing areas there is a never ending list of topropes with bolted anchors. That means minimal gear. It just depends.

I too started out reading books. I absorbed a ton of info from books, forums, videos, etc. I learned a lot but I had to go out and really do it with an instructor to make it all applicable. Then I went to the Sierras twice with a very experienced climber. Each time I learned a lot about climbing and even my view of what gear I need has changed a lot. The tips he has passed on are extremely valuable and have changed a lot about my climbing in so many ways.

If you took a class on anchors just think about what you needed for the average anchor in the class and that should be a good guideline.

If you progress in the right way the next step as well as what you need for it should seem easy.

Ice9

by Ice9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Climbing with a highly experienced mentor is the best way to learn to climb. All I would add is that to find such a person you look up and possibly join a good local climbing/mountaineering club. There are many in all parts of the US, they can easily hook you up with a myriad of experienced climbers.

CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:18 pm

showlett wrote:In his book "How To Rock Climb," John Long breaks down the gear and answers the questions I had.

He said if you are climbing with someone with ropes and a rack, this is what you need:
*Harness
*Locking carabiner
*Belay/rappel device
*(4) Oval carabiners
*Gear sling
*Chalk bag

And if you want to top rope, the following foundation rack will get you started:
*Rope
*(7) Carabiners
*(2) Locing carabiners
*(5) Taper nuts
*(5) Hexentrics
*Extra webbing (20 feet)
*Local guidebook

Ovals,... I'd pass on. While valuable for aid climbing, for most other forms, D's and locking D's are sufficient. If you are climbing with someone with the rack/rope I'd go,

-Harness
-chalk bag
-climbing shoes
-belay/rappel device
- 2 to 3 locking biners (its nice for the leader if you are on multi-pitch and you have your own locking biners for the belay setup
-2 24" sewn slings. Can be used as a gear sling (though I use the loops on my harness, as points to connect to anchors while rappelling,...)
-nut tool

a good sense of humor, patience and a willingness to listen.

If you are looking to top rope, the gear list is really locally dependent. What works in one location will be over/underkill in other locations

welle

by welle » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 pm

CClaude wrote:
showlett wrote:In his book "How To Rock Climb," John Long breaks down the gear and answers the questions I had.

*Harness
*Locking carabiner
*Belay/rappel device
*(4) Oval carabiners
*Gear sling
*Chalk bag

*Rope
*(7) Carabiners
*(2) Locing carabiners
*(5) Taper nuts
*(5) Hexentrics
*Extra webbing (20 feet)
*Local guidebook

Ovals,... I'd pass on. While valuable for aid climbing, for most other forms, D's and locking D's are sufficient. If you are climbing with someone with the rack/rope I'd go,

-Harness
-chalk bag
-climbing shoes
-belay/rappel device
- 2 to 3 locking biners (its nice for the leader if you are on multi-pitch and you have your own locking biners for the belay setup
-2 24" sewn slings. Can be used as a gear sling (though I use the loops on my harness, as points to connect to anchors while rappelling,...)
-nut tool

a good sense of humor, patience and a willingness to listen.

If you are looking to top rope, the gear list is really locally dependent. What works in one location will be over/underkill in other locations

^^^ second the above plus:

- helmet
- small pack like BD Bullet - to carry shoes (in case of a walk off), water, rain jacket and whatever extra stuff leader asks you to carry
- camera
- a cooler full of beer left in the car

showlett

by showlett » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:02 am

Ice9 wrote:Climbing with a highly experienced mentor is the best way to learn to climb. All I would add is that to find such a person you look up and possibly join a good local climbing/mountaineering club. There are many in all parts of the US, they can easily hook you up with a myriad of experienced climbers.

Great advice! I will look for a local club.

Previous

Return to Gear