Mt. Timpanogos via Timpooneke Trail: Start Time?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 pm

misterD wrote:i would highly recommend to skip Timp and go for Lone Peak. Lone will be way less busy and the views are much better.

I love Lone Peak and want to summit it some day, but my colleagues have specifically requested Timp, so I will oblige. :wink:

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Scott wrote:
...is there another nearby peak you would recommend off the top of your head as Plan B?

NO! Timpanogos is one of the most scenic peaks in the Rockies. If you are coming from out of state and don't get to the Wasatch often, do that one. Even if you don't reach the top, it's still really scenic. I would suggest not doing an alternative, especially if you are there for fall colors.

8) Ha! What I meant with this inquiry is: Ok, let's say the weather is forcasted to be lousy and it's not a good day for a more committing trip like Timp - what other peak should I have in my back pocket as an alternative.

And, I do :x not :evil: like to head toward a summit knowing weather / time will probably mean I won't get to the top. It's an OCD thing, ya know?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:57 pm

WhitePine wrote:The main thing is you don't want too be married to your goal. If weather blows in, don't hesitate to turn around early.

Despite my strong alpine OCD tendencies, I always put safety first when it comes to the weather. However, if I KNOW the night before that the weather will be lousy, I'd rather just put Timp off for anther day and attempt a summit of "Plan B," whatever that mountain is. 8)

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

byates wrote:Do not attempt on a Saturday, all the Mormon boy scout troops and other church affiliated groups swarm the main two trails. Sundays recieve about 1/5 as many people.

Sorry, but my coworkers have made it very clear that Sunday is not even an option, for the religious observation / family purposes. I honor this decision/conviction. Saturday is our day!

byates

by byates » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 pm

sarah.simon wrote:
byates wrote:Do not attempt on a Saturday, all the Mormon boy scout troops and other church affiliated groups swarm the main two trails. Sundays recieve about 1/5 as many people.

Sorry, but my coworkers have made it very clear that Sunday is not even an option, for the religious observation / family purposes. I honor this decision/conviction. Saturday is our day!

Then make sure you do get an early start, on a Saturday the odds of not getting a parking spot are usually much more threatening than Thunder storms!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 pm

byates wrote:
sarah.simon wrote:

Then make sure you do get an early start, on a Saturday the odds of not getting a parking spot are usually much more threatening than Thunder storms!

Define early, please. As mentioned in my OP, I am fine with an alpine start - my coworkers are not ok with an early start. If 6:00 AM start is too late for parking, then it's too late - and ... well, I'll tell my coworkers to leave me alone and do their own darn hike. :lol:

I appreciate all of the local feedback, but - what I am drawing from all of this is: This outting will be a major PITA - just forget about it. :P

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 am

So, after reading the entire thread, you want ME to forget about your hike ???

How about doing Mount Nebo?

It's closer to the freeways coming/going from Colorado, and the parking spaces would be
much easier to find on a busy weekend.

And, don't forget the days are much longer during the summer months.

So, what do you got to lose? Please, never leave your sense of adventure at home !!!

:wink:

byates

by byates » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:54 am

At 6 am there will be should be no problem with parking unless it is a full moon weekend. though not to say I'm an expert, I've been avoiding hiking on Saturdays in Utah County for the past ten years.

no avatar
WhitePine

by WhitePine » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:33 am

lcarreau wrote:How about doing Mount Nebo?

Nebo is pretty cool but I feel it is a much harder climb than Timp. Even though its shorter. Its the descent that really destroyed me. I'm wishing I had my collapsible ski poles with me.

If you are taking hiking novices, they will curse you less if you do Timp. It's a more gradual trail but much longer.

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 pm

byates wrote:At 6 am there will be should be no problem with parking unless it is a full moon weekend. though not to say I'm an expert, I've been avoiding hiking on Saturdays in Utah County for the past ten years.

Smart man. Sundays in Utah County, but shhhhhhhhhhhh. We don't want the word to get out.

EJBean

by EJBean » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 am

The Timpanooke trail is not too difficult for people who are somewhat fit. If none of you have been up the trail, make a note of the junctions. I followed a group of people last year who made every possible wrong turn, including one right out of the parking lot.
The Aspen Grove trail has more options for people who can't quite make it to the top. There are several falls along the trail. You can usually spot a herd of mountain goats somewhere in the Hidden Lakes/Emerald Lake area. There's Robert's Horn that's not as high as Timp, with great view. And of course, Emerald Lake - a great place to hang out.
Summit Post has some of the best trail data around, but if you want to see additional trail details, photos and maps of Mt Timpanogos and other popular peaks in the area, check out http://www.wasatchhiker.com.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:16 am

If you want something short, you could climb Sugarloaf from Albion Basin and get a nice view of Devils Castle. You could also get high on Devils Castle as well, but there is some exposed scrambling which your group might not want to deal with. Sugarloaf is just an easy walk up though and you can always enjoy looking at or taking a closer look at Devils Castle just for fun (without climbing it).

Mount Superior is shorter than Timp, but scenic.

An alternative to summiting Timp, but still seeing the great scenery on Timp is to climb Roberts Horn. Forgotten Peak is another nice sub-summit, but it has scrambling (but is shorter than going to the main summit).

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:48 am

WhitePine wrote:
lcarreau wrote:How about doing Mount Nebo?

Nebo is pretty cool but I feel it is a much harder climb than Timp. Even though its shorter. Its the descent that really destroyed me. I'm wishing I had my collapsible ski poles with me.

If you are taking hiking novices, they will curse you less if you do Timp. It's a more gradual trail but much longer.

Hey folks:

I think the hike was canceled, because NOBODY could decide
on what time to get up, let alone what peak to climb!

And "White Pine," I LOVE to hear people curse and breathe heavy. That's what makes MY day so much (more) exciting.

Doesn't matter, anyway. The folks are probably in their dens
opening up a cold one right now.

:lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:59 am

Whoooops! I think Sarah's thread just went to the DOGS ...

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 am

Mount Timpanogos is definately worth your time for sure. I went up there friday for some summer skiing and the combo of wildflowers and waterfalls along the Aspen Grove Trail made me realize why so many people love Timp. After some skiing the Billy Goats showed up and put on quite a show at the Emerald Lake Shelter. If you are going to visit a mountain in Utah "this is the place" (-Famous Utah Quote-) for sure Sarah. Happy Trails out there.

PreviousNext

Return to Utah