Emigrant Wilderness trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bildonator

Emigrant Wilderness trip

by Bildonator » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I and a few friends will be hiking the Emigrant wilderness, specifically Sonora Pass via Leavitt Lake, PCT, Emigrant lake, Gem lake Jewelry lake, Camp lake and exiting Crabtree trailhead.

Does anyone have any recent intel regarding good camp sites, mosquitos, fishing etc.

Thanks 8)

i2stillclimb

by i2stillclimb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

This is the main Highway thru Emigrant wilderness so good campsites will be taken by horse packers at most of the lakes you mention this time of year. I would scout out the secondary trails for better sites before setting camp. The sites at Gem, Jewlery, and Camp are on the main drag. There will be no solitude there. Its a little out of the way but I would hike up to Long lake from Deer lake and get up out of the mosquitos, crowds and the fishing in the stream outlet is very good.

Bildonator

by Bildonator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:50 am

i2stillclimb wrote:This is the main Highway thru Emigrant wilderness so good campsites will be taken by horse packers at most of the lakes you mention this time of year. I would scout out the secondary trails for better sites before setting camp. The sites at Gem, Jewlery, and Camp are on the main drag. There will be no solitude there. Its a little out of the way but I would hike up to Long lake from Deer lake and get up out of the mosquitos, crowds and the fishing in the stream outlet is very good.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:09 pm

I've fished in there, a lot! A great side trip would be to Granite Lake above Y Meadow. By the way, Y Meadow is sterile so don't waste your time there! Also if you're feelng burly head up to Ridge lake and those around it. Invredible fishing there but ya gotta earn it a bit.

http://www.thelemans.com/ridge_lake_tri ... %20Profile

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:55 pm

If you're looking for fish, Snow Lake would make a great side trip. There are monster Rainbows there (+20") and several good campsites to choose from on the north and west sides.

There's also good fishing in Emigrant Meadow Lake and a hidden campsite in the rocky knoll on the west side of the lake that will get you up off the water and into the breeze if the mosquito's are bad.

If it's solitude you want, camp at Middle Emigrant Lake. I've never caught fish there but it is down stream from EML, so I'm sure it holds fish. I don't recall any great campsites there but I'm sure you can make do.

Enjoy your trip! The Emigrant Wilderness Area is a beautiful place to hike and fish.

Bildonator

by Bildonator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Alpinist wrote:If you're looking for fish, Snow Lake would make a great side trip. There are monster Rainbows there (+20") and several good campsites to choose from on the north and west sides.

There's also good fishing in Emigrant Meadow Lake and a hidden campsite in the rocky knoll on the west side of the lake that will get you up off the water and into the breeze if the mosquito's are bad.

If it's solitude you want, camp at Middle Emigrant Lake. I've never caught fish there but it is down stream from EML, so I'm sure it holds fish. I don't recall any great campsites there but I'm sure you can make do.

Enjoy your trip! The Emigrant Wilderness Area is a beautiful place to hike and fish.

Awesome! Thanks very much for the info. 8)

Bildonator

by Bildonator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 pm

ScottyP wrote:I've fished in there, a lot! A great side trip would be to Granite Lake above Y Meadow. By the way, Y Meadow is sterile so don't waste your time there! Also if you're feelng burly head up to Ridge lake and those around it. Invredible fishing there but ya gotta earn it a bit.

http://www.thelemans.com/ridge_lake_tri ... %20Profile
Thanks for the tip. 8)

Return to California