Mts of East Central and SE Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
visentin

by visentin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 am

BorutKantuser wrote:
yatsek wrote:And I gave my answer then (page 14). I'd just like to add that the Julian Alps as the heading for the SP page is just right (Borut, what d'ya think?) ...

I think dat the English name comes very in handy in case of multinationality (f.i. wiz Julian Alps).

True but in some cases I think there is a limit, when the name becomes unrecognizeable. For example I'm not sure we should translate "Kamnik/Steiner Alps" into "Stone Alps" (it was not done), neither Gory Bialskie and Gory Zlote in Poland into "white and gold mountains". This way we can also start translating all pyrenean names according to their etymology and so on and so on... We must stick a bit to the original names.

yatsek

by yatsek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am

Here's one interesting example: 8)

The High/Western/Low Tatras works very well but e.g. the White Tatras (look at the headings here is controversial since the name comes from the River Biela/Biala; further complications: in C13 the German settlers invited by Bela IV, king of Hungary, founded the town of Spisska/Zipser Bela on the River Biela/Bela - check out this link).

Hence the Slovak Belianske Tatry, Polish Tatry Bielskie, Hungarian Belai and German Beler which is NOT "weiss": here So the proper English name will be the Bela River Tatras or the Bela Town Tatras, which finally leads us to a neat solution: the Bela/Biela Tatras, or maybe even to an informal "Belas" :lol: (informal American for the Wind River Range is the Winds, isn't it?)

visentin

by visentin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 am

yatsek wrote:Here's one interesting example:

True, I was told this several times. Besides, "White Tatras" can be confusing for a newcomer, who can think about a metaphorical way to designate snowy mountains...

yatsek

by yatsek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:33 pm

visentin wrote:

True, I was told this several times. Besides, "White Tatras" can be confusing for a newcomer, who can think about a metaphorical way to designate snowy mountains...

Actually, it made me think of the dolomite and limestone.

BorutKantuser wrote:yatsek,
Here we have Bela to denominate a stream. Many Belas in the only K-S range.
Like Bistrica, many Bistricas as well.

Right, that's why the Bela Tatras, not the Bela Kalkalpen/Alps/Mountains.

visentin

by visentin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:42 pm

yatsek

by yatsek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm

visentin wrote:http://www.rozhlas.sk/inetportal/rsi/core.php?page=showSprava&id=31065&lang=4
Good news for the Tatras chamois ;)

Oh dear, this Frenglish is much harder to understand than Eric's. :wink:

peterbud

by peterbud » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

White rhymes with the rock type, but the most likely option is that the range got its name from Spisska Bela settlement (just like the peaks of a handful of High Tatra peaks), no matter how that one got its name. :) But... do we have to create an English name this time?

visentin wrote:

peterbud

by peterbud » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm

"Beler/Belaer Kalkalpen" was, in fact, used.

yatsek wrote:Right, that's why the Bela Tatras, not the Bela Kalkalpen/Alps/Mountains.

yatsek

by yatsek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm

peterbud wrote:White rhymes with the rock type, but the most likely option is that the range got its name from Spisska Bela settlement (just like the peaks of a handful of High Tatra peaks), no matter how that one got its name. :) But... do we have to create an English name this time?

Have you read my last post one page back? Hungarians happen to have another reason to like the Bela Tatras :wink:
And there's no need to create a name as it's already been created - see link for Spisska Bela on page 19 plus this
I must admit that until recently I didn't realize that the name comes from the name of a town although Slovak and Polish are quite similar. Because the Polish name of the town is Biała, not Bela, so "the Tatras of Biała" would be "Tatry Bialskie" while it actually is "T.Bielskie" in Polish (which implies we think the name comes from the river :D )

visentin

by visentin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 pm

visentin

by visentin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:48 am

yatsek wrote:check out this link)

Interesting, on the other hand I note the accent on the A which suggests this book was translated from some hungarian guide without further research. There is the same with Beskidy which is often "Beskids" or "Beskides" without any official word. Pieniny is sometimes found as "Pienines" in french. Otherwise Bela sounds fine as it is simple to write and would be a very good standard. The only peoblem is that it is not commonly used at all. check wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belianske_Tatras
and try a google search on "white tatras" which comes back the most often...
yatsek wrote:Oh dear, this Frenglish is much harder to understand than Eric's. :wink:

It comes from my customized Google News page (tatras is a keyword, like carpathians and wroclaw :) ), I looked for the equivalent article en english, but sorry, looks like only french frogs are concened by the increase of the slovak chamois :D

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:50 am

Some not very good news about the Polish golden eagles
Hatchings in the Polish Carpathians:
2008 - 12
2009 - 6
2010 - 3 (2 in the Low Beskid; 1 in the Bieszczady)
(But it reads that one year towards the end of the past century only one eagle was born)

Last edited by yatsek on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:34 am

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 am

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am

Ohniste enhanced, layout adjusted to fit into all screens :)

PreviousNext

Return to Europe