Mount Stewart, Hamilton Lakes and Kaweah Gap Trip Report

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Pantilat

Mount Stewart, Hamilton Lakes and Kaweah Gap Trip Report

by Pantilat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Joel Lanz and I climbed 12,205 ft Mount Stewart via Hamilton Lakes and Kaweah Gap on July 22nd. The adventure run was about 46 miles and we started at 4:40 am from the Crescent Meadows Trailhead and finished at 6:50 pm for a 14 hour, 10 minute day. The 21 miles along the High Sierra trail to Kaweah Gap took about 5 hours each way. From the Hamilton Lakes amphitheater to the outstanding summit views, it was some of the best scenery I have seen in the High Sierra.

Complete trip report with many photos and a couple videos here.

thegib

by thegib » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Nice friggin picture!

rochonchis

by rochonchis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Great pictures! 46 miles in 14 hours, incredible!!!

mjrangel

you're my hero!

by mjrangel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am

We saw you guys on your way in. My wife and I along with my sister were camped at Buck Creek. We thought: man those guys are amazing to be running up here! Plus we saw your packs and knew you weren't planning to stay the night somewhere.

I thought, even to buck creek it would be 20 miles for a return hike and come to find out you were going well beyond that! I very much enjoy the pano of Black K and Eagle Scout. And the pic you took of Lion Rock looks very helpful. You can see the whole 'South Ridge' and 'S Slope' Routes on Lion Rk. You should post these on the Lion Rock page on SP.
Last edited by mjrangel on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sheets

by Sheets » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:53 am

That's Angel Wings in the first photo, right? The dome next to it looks pretty damn sick....what is it? Any route info?

Pantilat

by Pantilat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am

Sheets wrote:That's Angel Wings in the first photo, right? The dome next to it looks pretty damn sick....what is it? Any route info?

That's Angel Wings! Indeed, the dome next to it does look sweet. According to Secor it's called "Cherubim Dome" and he has only one route described called "Archangel" - Grade IV, 5.10c. I imagine other routes have been done on such a prominent feature?

Sheets

by Sheets » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks Leor.

Holy crap--that looks awesome. I've been meaning to go up this way but this trip report really encourages me to get up there this season!

BTW, I'm trying to get back in running shape & do some trail marys later this year.

Pantilat

by Pantilat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Sheets wrote:Thanks Leor.

Holy crap--that looks awesome. I've been meaning to go up this way but this trip report really encourages me to get up there this season!

BTW, I'm trying to get back in running shape & do some trail marys later this year.

Sweet, hit me up later this summer and we'll get out on adventure run. Plenty of ideas!

Return to California