Adirondacks Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
BobSmith

Adirondacks Question

by BobSmith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Next year our big trip is going to be New York state. After I take my wife to Niagra, we're going to take the travel trailer over to the high peaks region.

Questions:

What would be the best state park or National Forest campground to use as a base camp for hiking the high peaks? We'll be pulling our very small travel trailer (17 feet), but I need a campground that will accommodate trailers, but it doesn't have to have hookups. It has onboard water supply and I have a generator if I need it.

Also, I want to avoid the worst of the biting insects. What time of the summer are they fading out? When I went to Katahdin in early August we didn't encounter any black files or mosquitoes at all. Similar for the Daks?

Thanks!

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Coming to the Dack's, Excellent Bob!

I like Rogers Rock alot but it is pretty far from the cool stuff in the High Peaks Region. Check out this website.... http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7825.html

You can check out all of the possibilities here. Looking at the map, the closest sites to the cool stuff are
-Meadowbrook
-Wilmington Notch
-Rollins Pond
-Sharp Bridge
-Crown Point
-Lincoln Pond

These are all pretty small sites so reserve early. Rogers Rock is really big so it could be a good backup.

As far as bugs are concerned I am really not so sure, I think by mid August it gets much better than the spring.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 am

Not sure at all about campgrounds, but about bugs I can say this: I was there over the July 4 weekend, and it was pretty bad. I think it gets gradually better after that, though.

James_W

by James_W » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:48 am

Too bad they closed down Sharp Bridge that was my home base :(

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 am

James_W wrote:Too bad they closed down Sharp Bridge that was my home base :(

Sharp Bridge is closed? Permanently?

James_W

by James_W » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 am

BobSmith wrote:
James_W wrote:Too bad they closed down Sharp Bridge that was my home base :(

Sharp Bridge is closed? Permanently?

Hmm 2 years ago the attendant (great guy) said it was being closed down due to budget issues in NY. Now if I look online it appears to still be operating.

If Sharp Bridge is still operating I would suggest it as a base for your fun.

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:10 am

sharp bridge is open, i was able to look up booking a site their this year, well this week

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Yeah, I'd narrowed it down to Sharp Bridge before I saw the comment that it was closed. Good to hear that it's open, as likely that's the spot where we'll park the travel trailer.

TLP

by TLP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:19 pm

September is actually a great time for the Adirondacks. I don't know when you define summer, but the bugs won't be much of a factor at all then, plus the colors start to show towards the last couple of weeks. If that's too late for you, then August would be good. Have plenty of clothes to change into, as it's MUDDY. Year round. If it doesn't rain from now until you come, it will still be muddy.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Bob - sorry to barge in on your ADK thread, but I have a question for ADK vets.

What is early October like in the Adirondacks? Cold? Busy? Etc.

I know I've been in that area in May in a$$-deep snow, so I do not want to make asumptions that early October will be Shangri-La in that neck of the woods.

Thanks,

Sarah

TLP

by TLP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30 pm

early October is great! Nice fall colors. Cool, crisp hiking weather. A least the few times I was lucky enough to be there that time of the year.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Best campgrounds are on the lakes which are not really close to the high peaks....Saranac Lakes have a couple of good state campgrounds which aren't too far away. Raquette and Durant Lakes have great campgrounds too. There are also drive-in primitive areas (no hookups) where you can camp for free - like Moose River Primitive Area. Check with NYSDEC to see which campgrounds are open or closed due to budget cuts.

The black flies are usually gone by early July. The deer flies usually wane by late July. Early August on is largely bug free.

Most years early October weather is crisp and wonderful. Good leaf scenery. Could be busy with leaf peepers on the weekends but quiet during the week.

Though...have to be prepared for anything if you go above treeline. One year we climbed the McIntyre Range in mid-October and needed ice axe and crampons above treeline.

Enjoy!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Highly variable in October. I've seen beautiful days with lots of brightly colored trees down below... and then I was lost in a snowstorm and whiteout on Algonquin on October 17, 1970.

welle

by welle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Bob,
Sharp Bridge is the best bet, it also has few walk-in sites. Because it doesn't have any lake or facilities, the campground doesn't fill up as soon as others and not too many kids/families. Another great campground is Lake Harris if you want to do Wallface.

James_W

by James_W » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 am

sarah.simon wrote:Bob - sorry to barge in on your ADK thread, but I have a question for ADK vets.

What is early October like in the Adirondacks? Cold? Busy? Etc.

I know I've been in that area in May in a$$-deep snow, so I do not want to make asumptions that early October will be Shangri-La in that neck of the woods.

Thanks,

Sarah

October is one of my favorite times in the Daks. Even a nice little walk up Noonmark can be sublime. If it is dry October would also be great for slides.

Next

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)